Heady Sola like another coach

Kathleen Parker stood alone at midfield after the Syracuse field hockey team’s home opener against Albany. Behind the SU head coach, her top sophomore defender was bending down on the Coyne Field turf picking up balls.

‘It is like having another coach on the field,’ Parker said of SU defender Michelle Sola.

Coyne Field had just played host to a 7-1 Syracuse win. In the game, Sola anchored the defensive unit. In her team’s first victory of the season, Sola, who started all 21 games her freshman year, started at sweeper. It’s a position she fell into as a freshman.

A year ago, redshirt sophomore defender Joanne Lombard had a season-ending knee injury. Suddenly, there was an opening in the SU defense.

Sola filled it.

In her short career at SU, Sola’s been an anchor in the SU defense. She’s relied upon to take the penalty corners and be a vocal leader on the field. Even with Lombard returning to the team this year, Sola will remain in the starting role.

‘(Sola) knows the game so well,’ Parker said. ‘She sees the field very well and understands what she needs to do.’

Sola, a standout basketball player in high school, is now a sophomore. While she did not register any points last fall, Parker is confident things will change in 2003.

‘I’m not too worried about the points,’ Parker said. ‘I think they will come. That first one always seems to be the hardest.’

In addition to what Parker foresees as improved offensive production, her team has added depth on the defensive end. Lombard spent last fall rehabbing an injured knee. Now she plays with the woman who filled her spot in 2002. The depth at the position will pay dividends for the Orangewomen.

‘We work together well by communicating,’ Sola said. ‘We both have a nice strong shot. It’s a good fit.’

After starting 0-3 against three strong non-conference opponents, Sola and her teammates have reeled off three consecutive victories to even SU’s record.

Now, Sola’s title on the team is defender. In a few years, it may read ‘coach.’ Over the next three seasons, Sola is a player first and coach second.

‘I love it,’ Lombard said. ‘(Sola’s) such a great player and communicates so well. I don’t even have to think sometimes because I trust her so much. It’s awesome having someone right behind you telling you what to do.’

Staff Writer Mike Licker contributed to this story