Knight’s graduation leaves void

For nearly a decade the Boston College football backfield has served as a revolving door for 1,000-yard rushers and NFL prospects. Since 1992, five different Eagles have led the conference in rushing and BC has produced a 1,000-yard rusher in each of the last six seasons.

‘Having had six straight 1,000-yard rushers is very important to a lot of people around here,’ BC head coach Tom O’Brien said. ‘It is important to the guys on offense and it is important to the coaches.

‘They just don’t talk about it much, because they don’t want to jinx it.’

For the Eagles today, a jinx isn’t the real worry. Aside from quarterback Quinton Porter (159 yards in ’03), BC has only Jeff Ross at running back who rushed for 33 yards in two games last season. So the question has been levied, who, if anyone, will rush for 1,000 yards this season for the maroon and gold?

Ross is the leading candidate, but he will be challenged by a pair of redshirt freshmen, L.V. Whitworth and Andre Callender. The door is wide open, and though none of the candidates have much experience, don’t be surprised if BC manufactures another 1,000-yard back.

In 1998 Mike Cloud began the mini-tradition in Chestnut Hill, Mass., rushing for 1,726 yards and 15 touchdowns. Cedric Washington did it the next year and Willie Green followed with back-to-back 1,000-yard campaigns in 2000 and 2001.

Following Green was Derrick Knight, who also had a pair of 1,000-yard seasons. In 2003 he rushed for 1,721 yards and 11 TDs en route to setting BC’s career rushing record (3,725 yards).

BC has to be one of the more intriguing storylines in the new Big East conference this season. They are a year away from joining the Atlantic Coast Conference with a new set of opponents, the closest of which will be Maryland (a mere 640 miles away from BC).

‘We aren’t going to get caught up in this being our final season here,’ O’Brien said. ‘We want to win the conference. We have 11 games and we feel like we can win them all.’

The 2004 season will begin Thursday for BC when it faces Ball State. The target is on its back and the Eagles know that each of their six conference opponents would like to kick them swiftly out the door.

If the Eagles hope to extend their school record of five straight bowl appearances in this farewell tour, someone in the backfield is going to have to come up big.

Player of the year watch (offense)

This conference has seen the likes of Willis McGahee, Jeremy Shockey, Donovan McNabb, Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Vick, in just more than five years. So, with a new season upon us, who will be the offensive star of 2004?

Here are several standouts whose names you will know – if you don’t already – by the holiday season.

Dan Orlovsky: This 6-foot-5, 236-pound quarterback from the Big East’s newest team (UConn) has scouts foaming at the mouth. Some NFL experts have said Orlovsky – who threw for 2,485 yards, 33 TDs and 14 interceptions in 2003 – could be the top-rated passer in next April’s draft.

Another QB to keep an eye on is Rasheed Marshall from West Virginia. The senior, who was a 2nd team All-Big East selection a year ago, threw for 1,729 yards, tossed 15 touchdowns and had another 300 yards on the ground. With running back Quincy Wilson (1380 rushing yards, 12 touchdowns) gone to graduation it could mean even larger offensive numbers for Marshall.

Marshall’s favorite target comes in the form of 6-foot-5, 200-pound junior wide receiver Chris Henry, a junior college transfer who was the Big East Rookie of the Year in 2003. Henry caught 41 balls for 1,006 yards (24.5 yards per catch) and 10 touchdowns in his first season with the Mountaineers. The deep play threat of Henry and Marshall could prove to be the most lethal in the Big East this season.

Another dangerous duo will be playing in New Jersey this fall, where Ryan Hart and Brian Leonard are one of the best 1-2 combos you’ve never heard of. Hart, a junior quarterback at Rutgers, passed for 2,714 yards and 15 touchdowns last year. His glaring weakness, though, was his 19 interceptions, a stat that the Scarlet Knights’ starter must improve upon.

Leonard, the 230-pound sophomore fullback rushed for 880 yards and caught 53 passes for another 488 yards and pumped in 14 touchdowns in his freshman campaign.

Number(s) of the week: 19, 48

Returning starters and lettermen, respectively, that Rutgers will return to its roster this season. Sure, this is Rutgers we’re talking about, the same team that hasn’t had a coach with a career record above .500 since 1983. But, in a wide open conference, 19 returning starters and 48 returning lettermen could prove Rutgers a tough game.