Strong actors, director intensify minimalist ‘Jungalbook’

The production of ‘Jungalbook’ by Syracuse University’s Department of Drama draws laughter and kindheartedness from the audience though minimalist sets and a talented cast.

Based on ‘The Jungle Book’ by Rudyard Kipling, Edward Mast’s stage adaptation ‘Jungalbook’ plays out as a metaphor of today’s society. With laws, class divisions, rivalry and a supreme ruler, there are definite parallels between the real world and the world portrayed on stage. First shown in 1982, ‘Jungalbook’ has been praised for adhering closely to Kipling’s original stories.

The story centers around Mowgli, the ‘mancub’ raised by several creatures in the jungle: the wise and cautionary bear named Baloo, the leader of a wolf pack named Akela, and the protective and overseeing panther named Bagheera. Mowgli, meaning ‘young frog,’ is often discriminated against for being different from the wolves he was raised around. After all, he has no hair on his face and has fingers. As a human raised by wolves, Mowgli doesn’t understand his place in the world. He must learn the rules of the jungle without angering Sherakhan, the cruel tiger who will pounce on anyone who steps out of line.

Mast adapts the words of Kipling into a relevant and inspiring piece of theater. The jungle in the play can be seen as a reflection of the triumphs and pitfalls of modern society. 

The direction by Felix Ivanoff, a SU drama department professor, is what really brings the piece to life. His background in physical theater plays a huge role in much of the production’s blocking and fight scenes. Action scenes and dramatic bits are staged with the same level of intensity that is persistent throughout the play, with actors swinging and jumping from platforms several feet high. Ivanoff understands the full potential in the performer’s capabilities, both physical and dramatic, and it is well displayed on stage.

The cast of drama majors performs with a level of expertise far beyond their years. As an ensemble, the cast conveys the story effectively. It is the individual performances, however, that deserve a majority of this praise.
Christian Leadley, a senior musical theater major, carries the lead role of Mowgli with a tremendous amount of range, both physically and dramatically. Every emotion he portrays is heartfelt and genuine. Leadley jumps from platform to platform and swings around beams with ease, making every motion look completely natural.
Farasha Baylock, a junior acting major, plays Bagheera with a tremendous amount of heart and intensity. Every subtle body movement is executed with fluid motions that make her portrayal of the character very believable. Her scenes with Mowgli proved to be the most sincere in the show.

Unfortunately, Jon Schoss, a senior acting major, gives an inconsistent portrayal of Baloo. For a role that has the potential to steal scenes from other leads, Schoss provides little dramatic variation in his performance. Though Schoss has a few moments during which his character’s insightfulness comes through, there were not enough to solidify a notable performance. 

Other noteworthy performances include Chelsea Rolfes, a senior acting major, as Akela, and Matt Smith, also a senior acting major, as Sherakhan.

The set of ‘Jungalbook,’ designed by Elizabeth Gleason, a junior theater design and technology major, leaves a great deal of creativity to the audience’s imagination. This is accomplished through a minimalist design that doesn’t require any set changes. The set is comprised primarily of scaffolding, metal beams and graffiti-covered walls on which the cast jumps up, down and around. It seems the graffiti serves as its own metaphor for an urban jungle.

Accolades must also be given to Emily Springer, a senior stage management major, for the cleverly executed costume design. More of a modern fashion statement than an adherence to a typical animal look, each animal costume added to the overall metaphor of the production.

SU Drama’s production of ‘Jungalbook’ promises nonstop excitement and a thoroughly enjoyable night at the theater.