Fewer spring transfers enrolled at SU

The number of accepted transfer students this semester has taken a dip to accommodate this year’s large freshman class, which continues to grow.

A total of 120 students transferred to Syracuse University this semester, a drop of 13 transfers from January 2010, said Don Saleh, vice president for enrollment management.

The university set a target of 100 transfer students to enroll this semester, down 20 from last spring, because of the increase in the number of new freshmen starting in January, Saleh said. Approximately 10 to 15 percent of undergraduate students entering SU each year are transfer students, according to the transfer student website.

The plan to decrease the number of spring transfer students was announced at the Dec. 8 University Senate meeting when Martha Garcia-Murillo, a professor in the School of Information Studies and a member of the Budget and Fiscal Affairs Committee, delivered the committee’s report. The report was compiled by Saleh and Youlonda Copeland-Morgan, associate vice president for enrollment management and director of scholarships and student aid.

The term ‘transfer’ applies to a wide range of students, not just those coming from another college campus, said Greg Victory, director of the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs.

‘Not all of our spring students are transfers,’ Victory said. ‘We have some students who returned from their first semester abroad as part of the Discovery Florence program, and we also have some first-time freshman students who started out in January.’

Saleh said the number of transfers is a result of the university’s recruiting measures.

‘We’ve been doing a lot more recruitment now than ever in the past,’ Saleh said. ‘We mostly recruit at community colleges, but we have been recruiting at four-year institutions as well.’

On top of more recruitment, Saleh explained the amount of financial aid going to transfers is also increasing, exhibiting a very positive effect on the decision to transfer.

Molly Balestiere, a freshman transfer who was previously enrolled at Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia, said she wanted to attend SU because of the reputation of its individual colleges, such as the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

‘I’ve always loved Syracuse, it’s where I want to be,’ said Balestiere, who is currently undeclared in the College of Arts and Sciences but plans to transfer into Newhouse as a public relations major.

To alleviate some of the stress when transferring, the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs offers services, such as the transfer student mentor program, transfer student orientations for the fall and spring semesters, and an electronic monthly transfer newsletter, according to the office’s website.

‘Even though I’m not a member of any transfer groups or programs,’ Balestiere said, ‘the transition has been great so far.’