Culture

Dayglow attracts interest

It’s not every day when you have paint thrown at you while simultaneously dancing along to electronic music.

But then there’s Dayglow.

Dayglow, ‘The World’s Largest Paint Party,’ will kick off its Dayglow BLU (Beats, Love, Unity) tour at Syracuse’s Oncenter on Friday.

Founded by Committee Entertainment in 2006, Dayglow began on college campuses in Florida as an event combining paint and electronic music. Since then, due to its popularity, it has toured nationwide, featuring performances by some of the most popular DJs in the music industry.

This tour will differ from previous Dayglow tours, according to the website. Hosted by Emir Duru, the tour will feature blue paint for the first time and a new lineup of musical talent: electronica artists Steve Aoki, DJ Diplo, Laidback Luke and Chuckie, among others. Chuckie, The Devil from Acapulco, David Solano and Wildchild World will perform live shows.

Emily Kingston is excited for the large-scale paint party but doesn’t know what exactly to expect.

‘I heard about it from one of my friends from back home who said it was a lot of fun,’ said Kingston, a junior public relations and policy studies dual major. ‘I’ve been listening to some of the DJs who’ve played at Dayglow. I’m really excited to see who’s playing at the Syracuse show and to experience the paint that I’ve heard a lot about.’

The Syracuse show promises a turnout in the thousands. While the event is sold out on the Dayglow website, interested partygoers can venture onto Stubhub.com and Craigslist.com. Some ticket package choices for students include a VIP package, complete with a shirt and paint. The suggested attire for the event is all white.

Dayglow’s past tours have averaged 5,000 attendees in cities across the country, including Washington, D.C., Miami and New York City, where Hunter Abrams, a sophomore fine arts major at New York University, went to a show.

‘It was everything I love all put together in one explosive, beautiful event,’ Abrams said. ‘I love paint and I love electronic music. What else could someone ask for?’