Sports

Fall sports capsules: 2012 outlook for 6 Syracuse programs

Head coach: Doug Marrone, fourth season, 17-20

2011 record: 5-7 (1-6 Big East)

Key returnees: QB Ryan Nassib, LT Justin Pugh, WR Alec Lemon, SS Shamarko Thomas, LB Dan Vaughan, LB Marquis Spruill, DT Jay Bromley

Outlook: After finishing 2011 on a five-game losing streak, Syracuse is looking to rebound in its last season in the Big East. Veteran quarterback Ryan Nassib, who enters his third season as the starter, will lead an Orange offense that sputtered down the stretch a year ago. He has leading wide receiver Alec Lemon back along with Marcus Sales, who missed 2011 due to suspension. But an inexperienced offensive line and replacing 1,000-yard rusher Antwon Bailey at running back are areas of concern. The defense, which was among the worst in the Big East in 2011, is also a question mark entering the season.

Men’s Soccer

Head coach: Ian McIntyre, third season, 5-22-6 at SU

2011 record: 3-12-1 (1-7-1 Big East)

Key returnees: F Louis Clark, M Mark Brode, M Ted Cribley, D Ryan Tessler

Outlook: The Orange finished last in its division in the Big East last season, continuing the program’s recent struggles. SU often broke down in the second half of contests, allowing 18 of its opponents 23 regulation goals after halftime. This year, SU will rely heavily on senior Louis Clark, who led the team with 14 points in 2011, including six goals and two assists. Freshman goalkeeper Alex Bono enters the season with high expectations, arriving at SU as a top-ranked recruit from C.W. Baker High School in Baldwinsville.

Field Hockey

Head coach: Ange Bradley, sixth season, 87-22 at SU

2011 record: 19-4 (5-1 Big East)

Key returnees: F Kelsey Millman, M Leonie Geyer, M Liz McInerney, G Leann Stiver

Outlook: Syracuse returns a talented core from last season, when the Orange finished No. 3 in the nation and fell 2-1 to eventual national champion Maryland in the NCAA Tournament. Ange Bradley’s group is gearing for a run at its third straight Big East championship and should contend for the national title. Forward Kelsey Millman, whose 51 points led the Big East last season and tied her for 10th nationally, is back for her senior year to lead the two-time defending conference champion Orange. Leonie Geyer and Liz McInerney, a first-team All-American last season, will lead a dynamic midfield for SU. Back Lauren Hahnefeldt was named the conference’s Preseason Co-Defensive Player of the Year.

Women’s Soccer

Head coach: Phil Wheddon, fifth season, 23-39-13 at SU

2011 record: 7-8-3 (6-5 Big East)

Key returnees: GK Brittany Anghel, D Cecilia Borgstrom, F Jenna Rickan

Outlook: Coming off a season during which the Orange appeared in its first Big East tournament since 2005 and won the most of its games since 2007, Syracuse will try to build on that progress in 2012. Junior goalkeeper Brittany Anghel, a member of the U.S. U-23 national program, leads the team into a season in which the Orange faces five teams that made the NCAA Tournament last year. Junior defender Cecilia Borgstrom and senior forward Jenna Rickan return as the team’s leading scorers. The team’s strength is its defense, anchored by Anghel in net.

Volleyball

Head coach: Leonid Yelin, first season, 336-112 record in 15 seasons at Louisville

2011 record: 19-12 (8-6 Big East)

Key returnees: MB Samantha Hinz, MB Lindsay McCabe, OH Andrea Fisher, OH Nicolette Serratore, S Emily Betteridge

Outlook: First-year head coach Leonid Yelin takes the reins of the Syracuse program, replacing Jing Pu, who was fired in the middle of his 17th season in 2011. The Orange had an up-and-down 19-12 campaign and fell in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament to Notre Dame. Yelin comes to Syracuse with a career .766 winning percentage after 15 years as the head coach at Louisville. He spent last season as an assistant at Colorado. The Orange lost three seniors from the 2011 squad and returns two All-Big East performers: middle blockers Samantha Hinz and Lindsay McCabe. The squad faces six NCAA Tournament teams throughout 2012, including 2011 top-25 finishers Iowa State and Kansas State in non-conference play.

Cross Country

Head coach: Chris Fox

2011 highlights: NCAA Northeast Regional champions, All-Americans Pat Dupont and Lauren Penney

Key returnees: Joseph Whelan, Forrest Misenti, Shaylyn Tuite

Outlook: The men’s and women’s cross country teams look to continue the program’s recent streak of success under head coach Chris Fox. The men’s team finished 15th in the NCAA championship, while the women’s team finished17th. The Orange also boasted a pair of All-Americans: Pat Dupont and Lauren Penney, who both graduated. Redshirtsenior Forrest Minsenti and sophomore Shaylyn Tuite each earned all-region honors at the NCAA Northeast Regionals in 2011. Joseph Whelan is SU’s fastest returning runner after placing 108th at last fall’s NCAA championship. Freshman Brianna Nerud comes to SU after a standout career at North Shore High School (N.Y.). She set the national high school record in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and also owns the New York state record in the 5,000-meter run.

—Compiled by The Daily Orange Sports staff, [email protected]