Orange players to keep an eye on heading into 2012 season

Ryan Nassib, graduate student, quarterback

Nassib enters his third season as Syracuse’s starting quarterback. He’s coming off a 2011 season that was statistically one of the best in program history. Nassib set the single-season program record in completions with 259 and passing yards with 2,685 while tying the top mark for touchdown passes with 22. Still, Nassib piled up most of his gaudy numbers in the Orange’s five wins, throwing for 14 touchdowns compared to one interception. Iin the team’s seven losses, the quarterback managed just eight touchdowns and threw eight interceptions.

Nassib will need to be sharp for all 12 games for SU to rebound and return to a bowl game this year. His performance is crucial this season as the Orange is inexperienced at running back and on the offensive line.

Ashton Broyld, freshman, running back

The freshman from Rochester has spent much of preseason camp working out with the running backs. Though he has also taken reps at quarterback and wide receiver since arriving at SU for spring practice, Broyld will likely be used out of the backfield for the Orange. He’ll also line up in the Wildcat formation, taking direct snaps with an option to run or pass.

The versatile freshman spent the 2011 season at Milford Academy in New Berlin, N.Y., throwing for six touchdowns and running for six more. As a senior at Rush-Henrietta High School in Rochester, Broyld was named the 2010 New York State Class AA Player of the Year. He threw for 1,961 yards and 24 touchdowns and rushed for 1,540 yards and 24 touchdowns.

Alec Lemon, senior, wide receiver

Lemon set a single-season program record with 68 catches last season. The senior finished with 834 yards receiving and six touchdown catches. Lemon returns as Nassib’s top target in 2012 after undergoing shoulder surgery during the offseason. He is currently receiving treatment.

Lemon has improved each season at SU, and the Orange will need him to step up in his final year. The team has stressed a need to make big plays offensively and the wide receiving corps will be a key to achieving that goal. It starts with the veteran Lemon and fellow senior Marcus Sales, who missed 2011 due to suspension.

Jay Bromley, junior, defensive tackle

Bromley will anchor a defensive line that lost Mikhail Marinovich and Chandler Jones to graduation. With DeonGoggins moving to defensive end, Bromley enters the season as the team’s top defensive tackle.

After making just eight tackles in 12 games of action as a freshman, he had a standout sophomore season in 2011. He finished last season with 32 tackles – including 5.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks. He started 10 games and made at least one tackle in all 12 games for the Orange.

On an SU defense that finished sixth in the Big East in rushing defense with 128.2 yards allowed per game and last in sacks with 28, Bromley and his teammates on the line have plenty to improve on in 2012.

Dan Vaughan, graduate student, linebacker

Vaughan is Syracuse’s top returning tackler, accounting for 72 stops in 2011. It was a breakout season for Vaughan, who managed just 10 tackles combined in 25 games the previous two seasons.

Now, Vaughan leads a deep group of linebackers as the Orange prepare for the 2012 season. Vaughan, an outside linebacker, is among six players battling for time at linebacker going into the season opener against Northwestern on Sept. 1.

Shamarko Thomas, senior, strong safety

Thomas is one of the Orange’s top playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. He was third on the team in tackles with 67 last season.

SU will lean heavily on his experience in a secondary that was burned by top receivers time and time again in 2011. The departure of free safety Phillip Thomas, who led the team in tackles and interceptions in 10 games of action last season, leaves some uncertainty surrounding the secondary. And Shamarko Thomas’ play and leadership will go a long way toward any improvement shown by the SU defense this season.

—Compiled by Ryne Gery, sports editor, [email protected]