Nike vice president to discuss digital engagement

Stefan Olander, vice president of digital sport for Nike, will give a presentation in a medium fitting with his role: via videoconference.

The presentation, titled “Game On: Bridging the Digital and Physical World,” will take place at 6 p.m. in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium on Wednesday.

Olander will give his presentation via videoconference so that students can use the #NewhouseGLDSM hashtag to follow along on Twitter, according to the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications’ website.

The presentation is part of the ongoing series by Newhouse, titled “Newhouse Global Leaders in Digital Social Media.” This series ventures into the world of groundbreaking digital and social media engagement, according to the website.

William Ward, a social media professor in Newhouse who is coordinating the event, first met Olander in 2007 when he gave a presentation on Nike+ to the marketing industry.

Ward said in an email that Olander is “a leading digital marketer and Nike is one of the brands that has been a game changer in how companies connect with consumers digitally and socially.”

The purpose of the presentation is to share lessons learned from Nike digital sport to help prepare SU students for connecting in the digital world, Ward said.

“Olander oversees Nike’s global strategy for how digital technology will help athletes get better and over the past 15 years he has been a core contributor in evolving Nike’s consumer connections across the globe,” he said.

Olander played a key role in establishing Nike+. Nike+ builds consumer connections by bridging the gap between the digital and physical worlds of running, according to the website.

Sam Blum, a freshman newspaper and online journalism major, said he is very excited for Olander’s discussion.

“It’s cool to have a mixture of both big business media and sports coming to Syracuse,” Blum said.

Sam Hyman, a freshman broadcast and digital journalism and math major, said he is happy SU is giving students the opportunity to hear Olander speak.

“I’m extremely excited about it. I live in a small town and I never have the opportunity to see people from big companies,” he said.