Carnival Close-Up: Advisory committee to audit the Great New York State Fair

Anael Colunga | Contributing Illustrator

For the first time in five years, a volunteer advisory committee will institute an audit of the Great New York State Fair to ensure the value of the $17- to $18-million event.

The governor-established committee hopes that an independent, outside auditor will guarantee the accuracy of financial records and display information that will help better budget the event, The Post Standard reported on Oct. 16.

The fair underwent several changes in the past five years, including the elimination of the Industrial Exhibit Authority. This entity was disbanded in a unanimous New York state Senate vote in 2009 after more than 70 years of operation, The Post Standard reported on May 5, 2009.

The Industrial Exhibit Authority employed a majority of fair workers, owned five buildings at the fair and ran on a $6-million budget, The Post-Standard reported.

New York state expected to save $150,000 a year in insurance and auditing costs by merging the entity with the current owner of the fairground, the Department of Agriculture and Markets, The Post-Standard reported.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo established the fair advisory committee, which is now pushing for the audit, just a year ago. This committee can make suggestions, such as implementing an audit, but has no power to impose policy, The Post-Standard reported.

The state’s inspector general published revealing reports of free tickets for New York State Police and even special discounts given to the former fair director, Peter Cappuccilli, as well. The former director pleaded guilty last year to a misdemeanor and was forced to pay $50,000 to the state, The Post-Standard reported.

In order to prevent such occurrences, the committee hopes to conduct the audit soon, but did not set a timeline, said Jim Bays, commissioner of the Department of Agriculture and Markets, The Post-Standard reported.