Student Association

Impact Week to benefit Syracuse community

Student Association is giving Syracuse University students an opportunity to get out of the campus bubble and give back to the community.

Members of SA aim to reduce the gap between SU students and the Syracuse community through Impact Week, a series of community service events benefitting local nonprofit organizations.

“This is an opportunity to help Student Association Representatives, students and citizens of the Syracuse community build connections,” Chief of Staff Janine Savage said in an email. “It’s important to thank the city that has given us a home away from home.”

The event, which is open to all students, allows participants to sign up to volunteer for specific events happening every day from Nov. 5 to Nov. 13.

Savage is the primary organizer of the event and worked closely on it with Vice President Allie Curtis. Savage said community service is a vital part of the college experience and she encourages all students to get involved. Savage said community service “allows students to grow morally” and learn about something they didn’t know existed.

Service opportunities include cleaning at Thornden Park, cooking for the Ronald McDonald House Charities and volunteering at the Samaritan Center. Savage said she expects one of the bigger events called Dome Donation Day, which will take place before a Syracuse football game, to attract the most students.

“(Dome Donation Day) is a year old tradition that helps students better the community,” Savage said. “It’s a collaboration with the Salvation Army before the Louisville game on November 10th for people attending the game to make donations.”

The week of service is all about giving back, Savage said. As a public health and child and family studies major, Savage said she values the importance of reaching out to the community and hopes “to take what (she) has learned from working with nonprofit organizations and help others understand how much (they) can grow as people by giving back.” Curtis said it’s important to for students to know how much they can impact their community.

“Impact week encompasses civic engagement,” Curtis said in an email. “It’s important that students form connections to causes and service projects that inspire them now and to become politically aware and engaged.”

While the initiative is meant to “get students out of the orange bubble,” it will also fulfill President Dylan Lustig’s campaign promise of a week of community service. The final details of Impact Week will be discussed during an SA meeting at 7:30 p.m. Monday in Maxwell Auditorium.

Savage said she and Curtis have been amazed with the amount of student and organization involvement in the event and that they are pleased with how smoothly the event has come together.

But one issue they faced was providing transportation for volunteers. Savage said SA encourages students to use the Centro bus service and will also coordinate rides through the Mary Ann Shaw Center for Public and Community Service.

Students can sign up for next week’s service opportunities at SUImpact.eventbrite.com.

“I think it will help all of our students grow and become better members of society,” Savage said. “It has been a joy to organize Impact Week and watch organizations and students become excited about giving back.”