Parental guidance: Say Yes to Education creates program to help families support their children’s learning

Micah Benson | Art Director

Parent University is sending Syracuse parents back to school with the goal of informing, involving and empowering families of students in the community.

“The ultimate goal is to get children through high school and across the stage,” Monique Wright-Williams, executive director of parent and family engagement for Say Yes to Education, which sponsors the initiative, said in an email. “The Parent University will provide families with information and resources that will enable them to be in the best position to help their children through that process.”

Say Yes is a national nonprofit organization that enhances academic resources for school districts through grants. The organization supports students from elementary school through the college searching process. It offers everything from extended academic support to health insurance enrollment, and SAT preparation programs to scholarship opportunities.

Sharon Contreras, superintendent of the Syracuse City School District, introduced the idea of Parent University to Say Yes, The Post-Standard reported on Oct. 20. The program provides classes and workshops to inform parents on ways to motivate their children and stay positively involved in their education, The Post-Standard reported.

Major goals of the program include bettering communication within families, setting high standards for students and holding parents accountable for their students’ performances, The Post-Standard reported.

The Parent University website also outlines a plan for parents to support their children with personal academic and nonacademic goals and issues. The initiative also hopes to establish a better sense of community throughout the district.

Onondaga Community College hosted the Parent University Kickoff Summit on Oct. 20. At the event, which 182 parents and family members attended, 22 workshops were held and 18 agencies worked to provide outreach support and materials to those at the event, Wright-Williams said.

Workshops focused on dealing with the new curriculum, bullying, communication and how to increase literacy skills among students, The Post-Standard reported.

Author and motivational speaker Baruti Kafele, who until recently was a principal in New Jersey, spoke at the summit, The Post-Standard reported. He believes that students can achieve their goals if they have the proper support system, The Post-Standard reported

Because the summit was such a success, Parent University will continue to plan events, including another summit.

“Future summits will operate very similarly to the one recently held,” Wright-Williams said. “A volunteer committee of parents and community members are currently working on the next summit for the spring semester. Those details will be available at the conclusion of this current semester.”