Ice Hockey

Redshirt freshman Kingsbury brings championship experience to Orange

Laurie Kingsbury came to Syracuse with championship credentials.

In 2010, Kingsbury was a member of the Canadian women’s U-18 national team that won the International Ice Hockey Federation World Women’s U-18 Championship in Chicago. Since joining the Orange, she’s continued to play at a high level.

The redshirt freshman forward has at least one point in every game this season. In four games, she has three goals and three assists.

Kingsbury grew up in Canada where hockey is by far the most popular sport. After watching her dad and brother play as a kid, Kingsbury decided she wanted to play as well.

“My dad and my brother was playing first,” Kingsbury said. “I wanted to be like them.”

She said her parents are very proud of her for working hard and pushing herself both in the World Championship and at Syracuse.

Her favorite memory of playing hockey was representing her country at the 2010 World Championship in Chicago.

“It felt awesome. Especially that we won,” Kingsbury said. “Before we went on the ice in overtime, it was magical.”

During the second game of the season, Kingsbury scored against then-No. 10 Northeastern.

“I had like 10 shots beforehand,” Kingsbury said. “It was such a relief and it felt good.”

This past weekend, the team traveled to Penn State to play two games against a team that was playing its first home games ever. Kingsbury went off and scored two goals and two assists.

“I was just hungry and angry,” Kingsbury said. “The team is playing really well, and without my teammates, it wouldn’t be possible.”

Head coach Paul Flanagan said he has noticed Kingsbury’s quality of play and was glad she finally broke out.

“It’s good to have a young player that is exhibiting consistency already this early in the season,” Flanagan said. “Her size and her strength is going to generate a lot of opportunities.”

Flanagan cited the confidence Kingsbury gained over the weekend as beneficial to her success.

“When she starts getting some goals, some results, that’s going to give her some confidence,” Flanagan said. “It’s really good to see the younger players stepping it up offensively.”

Kingsbury has taken 29 shots, 12 more than any of her teammates. She took seven shots on Saturday and was able to net two in the Orange’s 4-0 win over the Nittany Lions.

Sophomore forward Allie LaCombe said she has noticed the play of Kingsbury.

“Kings was outstanding. We expected a lot of her coming out here,” LaCombe said. “She has definitely lived up to her expectations and exceeded them. I’m proud of her; she’s sick.”

While Kingsbury has already represented her team twice at the national level, she said she hasn’t ruled out playing at the professional level.

“I’m still thinking about it,” Kingsbury said. “It’s fun, I love hockey.”