Conservative

Romney-Ryan plan for budget will help solve economic problems

Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan and the Republicans win the economy hands down.

One way to see this is to look at what is certain. Namely, it is certain that on the current track set by President Barack Obama and the Democrats in Congress, by 2022, our nation will begin accelerating toward insolvency.

The White House’s own analysis of Obama’s 2013 budget proposal says that beyond 2022, “the fiscal position (of the United States) gradually deteriorates mainly because of the aging of the population and the high continuing cost of the Government’s health programs.”

The document also says, “The deficit continues to rise for the next 75 years, and the publicly-held debt is also projected to rise persistently relative to GDP.”

Hence, according to Obama’s own budget documents, it is clear that Obamacare and everything else Obama has set in motion fail to solve our long-term economic problems. In short, the Democrats’ plans fail on paper and in practice.

Regarding these projections, Obama’s own Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner admitted to the House Budget Committee, which is chaired by Paul Ryan, that “we’re not coming before you to say, ‘We have a definitive solution to the long-term problem.’ What we do know is we don’t like yours.”

The solution the Obama administration opposes — the Republican solution by Ryan — would close the deficit by 2040, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

So, instead of expanding on failed policy, our nation should consider Romney and Ryan as an alternative to certain economic doom.

Michael Stikkel is a junior computer engineering major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected].