Men's soccer

Syracuse’s turnaround attracts record attendances to home games

Sam Maller | Asst. Photo Editor

Ted Cribley and Syracuse have played in a packed SU Soccer Stadium during its best season in more than a decade. The Orange has seen record marks throughout this year.

Ian McIntyre stood with his back to the field, looking up at the bleachers with his hands on his hips. The season hadn’t even started yet, but the head coach was already dreaming about the future followers of SU soccer.

“If we get a few fans in the stands,” said McIntyre, pointing from left to right at the seats in front of him, “this place could be rocking.”

Syracuse set its first of many attendance records later that night with 1,581 fans on hand to watch the Orange beat Albany in its season opener. But what initially looked like a one-game aberration has become normal at SU Soccer Stadium.

McIntyre’s vision came true faster than he or anyone else expected. The fans have been supportive the entire season. Some of the record-breaking 1,652 fans at the Syracuse-Louisville game on Oct. 6 had to stand at the very top of the bleachers, unable to see over the crowd. Others snuck their way into the out-of-bounds territory behind both goals to get enough elbow room to cheer.

Team captain Ted Cribley knows Syracuse’s win-loss record accounts for most of the increased interest. With a home record of 4-2 and an overall record of 10-4, Cribley said he and his teammates are simply playing better soccer.

But Cribley also admitted he never anticipated fans would appreciate the turnaround and come to as many home games as they have in 2012.

“I think we’ve really entertained the crowd more,” said Cribley. “We’ve played much better and (we’ve) really enjoyed (the turnout).”

Winning helps, but it isn’t the only reason why SU is setting new attendance highs this year. McIntyre’s most recent recruiting class features four freshmen from the greater Syracuse area, and that means more local support from family and friends.

Two of those players — goalkeeper Alex Bono and midfielder Stefanos Stamoulacatos — start for Syracuse this season. Backup goalkeeper Andrew Coughlin has also seen playing time at SU Soccer Stadium, and fellow Baldwinsville native Ben Ramin has become a much-used reserve.

Cristos Stamoulacatos, Stefanos’ father, routinely brings more than 100 family members, friends and neighbors to home games. And the infusion of local players like Stamoulacatos has led more families and community members to support McIntyre’s team than they did during previous SU head coach Dean Foti’s tenure.

“That’s something that Foti never did,” Cristos Stamoulacatos said. “He would look for players from other areas and not at the ones that were closest to him. McIntyre knows that when you bring in players from around your program, your program gets noticed more in the community.”

And no one enjoys the new and reenergized fan base more than McInytre. When he was hired three seasons ago, he promised his work would be reflected in Syracuse’s record, but also in the team’s following.

After winning five games over his first two years, McIntyre is following through on that promise. And as all 1,652 fans filed out of SU Soccer Stadium after its 2-1 loss to Louisville, the head coach made sure his players left the field early to personally thank their new supporters.

“To come out like they did tonight, and all season,” McIntyre said, “that’s what we’ve always had in mind.”