Superstorm Sandy

When stormy weather hits, students find creative ways to stay dry

With Hurricane-turned Superstorm Sandy making an appearance this week on the East Coast, students grabbed their raincoats and umbrellas. But when it comes to beating the elements and staying dry, some students get creative.

Chelsea Corrigan, a junior fashion design major, said her first instinct is to take cover under whatever she can find.

“When I get caught in the rain I just try and run and hide under whatever I think will keep me dry,” Corrigan said. “I usually end up under a store awning trying to wait out the rain.”

The news of the storm prompted the administration to cancel classes after 1:40 p.m. on Monday and all day on Tuesday, giving students plenty of opportunities to find themselves caught in the rain.

While some students take to hiding from the rain, others will try and run from it.

“I just run,” said Brennen Barrigar, a sophomore in the Bandier Program for Music and the Entertainment Industries. “I just book it from one building to the next because I hate the rain and figure there really isn’t much else to do.”

Sophomore exercise science major Joshua Shuriff said he makes his own ponchos out of whatever he can find.

“I usually will just take a plastic bag from the grocery store, or a trash bag or something, and cut a hole for my face and wear it over my head; it keeps me dry every time,” Shuriff said.

Even with classes getting canceled, several students expressed a dislike for rain. But one student had a different outlook on the topic. Max Darrow, a freshman broadcast journalism major, said that when he’s caught in the rain, he just likes to enjoy it.

“I’m from California, so I’m not used to getting rain; I’m always amazed by how much it rains here,” Darrow said. “The first time I got caught in the rain in New York I just kind of stood there and enjoyed it; I didn’t even care I was getting soaked.”