Conservative

Stikkel: After Obama’s re-election, GOP should take control of Senate in 2014 to read, block legislature

Just like Obi-Wan Kenobi, it’s time for all five of Syracuse University’s registered Republican undergraduates to go into hiding. Our primary task is to hide out in the desert and find suitable candidates for 2016 to prevent Joe Biden from taking the presidency.

Last week, Biden joked with Floridians about making a presidential bid in 2016, but we know he was actually serious. Because of this, we must get either Donald Trump or Sarah Palin. Better yet, we should get both and construct a 2016 Donald Trump/Sarah Palin ticket.

In 2016, our campaign will highlight Trump’s business experience and Palin’s likability among middle-class Americans. Surely anyone left of center has stopped reading.

Here is the real plan: Take the Senate in 2014. This is not for the sake of blindly blocking every policy President Barack Obama proposes over the next four years. However, it happens that most of Obama’s policies should be blocked. Although it looks as if Republicans just like blocking things, this is not the case.

We mostly like to read first and then block. Obama’s website outlines a plan for “an economy built to last,” and this plan can be used to illustrate the read-and-block concept.

For instance, Obama’s plan calls for “innovation” and creating “the jobs of tomorrow here at home.” To show Obama’s readiness to do this, the website recounts “President Obama’s rescue of the auto industry” and declares Obama’s goal to “create 1 million new manufacturing jobs by the end of 2016.”

This all sounds nice except that rescuing failed companies, like General Motors and Chrysler, is the opposite of rewarding innovation. The innovators are the companies that have not failed, like Ford.

Bailing out GM and Chrysler protected them from their own lack of innovation and hurt the innovators. So we should read and block any similar legislation.
Additionally, Obama knowing that exactly “1 million new manufacturing jobs” in America “by the end of 2016” means future dominance in the world economy seems positively prophetic. Instead, we should allow the free flow of capital to find the “jobs of tomorrow.”

If “1 million new manufacturing jobs” are the future, investors will find them. If the future is something else, investors will find that, too.
Recalling the Obama administration’s string of failed green energy investments, read and block, because having 1 million people make products that buyers do not want is the opposite of innovation.

Continuously passing legislation for Obama to veto is another good use of Senate seats. This way, Democrats cannot label us “the party of no,” and our ideas, such as long-term budgets that are not projected to bankrupt this country, will enter the public forum.

Michael Stikkel is a junior computer engineering major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected].