Saudi Arabian prince to visit SU, receive award from Chancellor

Prince Sultan bin Salman, the first Arab astronaut and member of the royal family to enter space, will visit his alma mater on Friday to receive the Chancellor’s Medal for Outstanding Achievement.

The presentation will take place at 11:45 a.m. in the foyer of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, where he received his master of social science degree in 1999 following his time at the University of Denver.

The Chancellor’s Medal for Outstanding Achievement is given to individuals in recognition of their contributions to their community, the world and the university, according to a Nov. 14 SU News release.

“Whether setting records as an astronaut or advocating for opportunity for women and people with disabilities, he courageously has blazed new trails in the Arab World,” said Syracuse University Chancellor Nancy Cantor in the news release.

The accomplishments that contributed to him winning the prestigious award include his title as the first Arab and Muslim in space as a member of the international crew of the Space Shuttle Discovery in 1985, according to the release. He also holds the record, at 28, as the youngest person to fly on the Space Shuttle.

Bin Salman is president of the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities, and chairman of the board of trustees of the Prince Salman Center for Disabilities Research in Riyadh, according to the release.

As the son of the Saudi Minister of Defense, Crown Prince Salman bin AbdulAziz al-Saud, he is next in line to inherit the Saudi throne.

Another recognition is his commitment and promotion of disability research and support, which is a common passion for both bin Salman and SU, according to the release. He co-founded the Prince Salman Center for Disabilities Research to advocate for the widespread needs of those living with disabilities.

Sultan was also instrumental in creating a partnership between SU and the first all-female university in Riyadh, Princess Nora Bint Abdul Rahman University, according to the release.

Another important distinction is his leading role in the understanding, appreciation and study of Saudi Arabia’s culture, history and heritage globally, according to the release.

The average person in America does not know the difference between various Middle Eastern countries, even with the Iraq War going on, said Taylor Nanz, a freshman policy studies major.

“I think it’d be a good idea to see the Prince speak,” she said. “I would definitely go; people need to be more informed on the region as a whole.”

Previous recipients of the award, including Vice President Joe Biden, the late U.S. Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Donna Shalala and best selling author Kenneth Auletta, according to the release.

“I didn’t even know this was happening,” said Ejona Murataj, a freshman finance major. “I look for these sort of events all the time.”

SU should do a better job of advertising the arrival of such an important international figure, especially on such short notice, she said.

Said Murataj: “This is an awesome opportunity for the entire campus.”