Superstorm Sandy

University announces aid relief initiatives

In the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, Syracuse University is launching a number of initiatives to support and aid individuals affected by the storm.

In an email sent to all students on Monday morning, Chancellor Nancy Cantor said the SU community has had the Tri-State area “in our hearts and minds,” as the region recovers from the storm.

“While we empathize with victims of all natural disasters, our connection to this tragedy is incredibly close, given that the areas impacted are home to many of our students, their families, and SU alumni, friends and colleagues,” Cantor said in the email.

Traditionally, SU has had a large proportion of its students come from the Northeast, where Superstorm Sandy had the biggest effect. This year, 63.9 percent of the freshman class came from the Northeast, the lowest amount in school history.

To support those affected, SU has organized several programs for members of the SU community to help, according to the email. These programs include:

• Sending a truck with bottled water, ready-to-eat food and sweatshirts to the affected areas.
  • The previously scheduled “Dome Donation Day,” which marks the official start of the Salvation Army’s Red Kettle Campaign, will expand to benefit victims of Superstorm Sandy, as well as the Salvation Army’s annual holiday assistance campaign. During the event, SU and the CXtec and TERACAI companies will work together to collect food and monetary donations from fans as they enter the Carrier Dome.
  • A similar donation effort to benefit storm victims will take place at an upcoming men’s basketball game.
  • Those who wish to donate to the relief efforts can call the American Red Cross or the Salvation Army, or drop off checks made out to these organizations at the Dean’s Office in Hendricks Chapel.
  • Any faculty or staff members, individuals or student groups interested in providing long-term support for relief efforts are encouraged to call the Office of Student Activities.