Boeheim advocates for stricter gun control following 900th career victory

After winning his 900th career game in Syracuse’s 72-68 victory over Detroit Monday, head coach Jim Boeheim created some buzz at the end of his press conference when he turned his thoughts to gun control after the tragedy that took place on Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

Boeheim began his spiel by stating that “this will probably offend some people,” then gave his thoughts on the gun control debate.

“If we in this country, as Americans, cannot get the people that represent us to do something about firearms, we are a sad, sad society,” Boeheim said, drawing applause from a few fans who had entered the room to hear his postgame press conference.

Twenty children and six adults were killed in the shooting Friday, eliciting and further igniting discussions about gun control in the United States. Boeheim went on further after the small applause for his initial comments, saying that “this is my fault and your fault, all your faults.”

“If we can’t get this thing done, I just — I’ll go with the mayor of New York City,” he said. “If we can’t get this thing done, I don’t know what kind of country we have.

“This isn’t about the president or those other people down there. We need to make them understand, somehow, that this needs to get figured out real quick. Not six months from now.”