Former media director for SU athletics under investigation by SPD, district attorney’s office

Police and the district attorney’s office are investigating the former media director for the Syracuse University athletic department, The Post-Standard reported on Wednesday.

Roger Springfield, former media director for the SU athletic department and a former local sportscaster, is no longer an SU employee, said Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs, in an email. Springfield is no longer listed in the Syracuse University Directory System.

Springfield is under investigation by the Syracuse Police Department and the Onondaga County District Attorney’s Office, The Post-Standard reported.

The district attorney’s office and SPD could not immediately be reached for comment.

District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said in the article the investigation started after SU officials contacted law enforcement officials but declined to discuss the investigation further.

James McGraw, Springfield’s lawyer, said in the article he couldn’t discuss what the investigation involved.

McGraw said he didn’t think the allegations would result in criminal charges being filed against Springfield, The Post-Standard reported. McGraw could not be immediately reached for further comment.

Back of the pack

None of the Orange's running backs have crossed the goal line since the season opener. They hope to change that against N.C. State on Saturday. Read more »

The Quiet Corner

Brandon Reddish doesn't say much. He doesn't like to and he doesn't need to. The Syracuse cornerback leads an Orange secondary that's held opponents to 197.6 passing yards per game. Read more »