Marrone to interview with Bills, Browns according to ESPN report

Andrew Renneisen | Staff Photographer

Less than a week after leading Syracuse to a win in over West Virginia in the Pinstripe Bowl, Orange head coach Doug Marrone is scheduled to interview for the head coaching position with the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills, ESPN reported.

Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone is scheduled to interview with the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills this week, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Monday.

The Bills fired their head coach, Chan Gailey, after going 6-10 during the regular season. Cleveland finished the year 5-11 before also firing its head coach, Pat Shurmur, on Monday.

Marrone is coming off of Syracuse’s 38-14 win over West Virginia in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium Saturday. In his four seasons at SU, Marrone is 25-25. He also guided Syracuse to a 36-34 Pinstripe Bowl victory in 2010.

Before becoming the head coach of the Orange, Marrone spent seven seasons coaching in the NFL.

He served as the offensive line coach for the New York Jets from 2002 to 2005, and then as the offensive coordinator for Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints from 2006 to 2008.

Marrone is highly regarded by NFL coaches and executives. When Marrone took the job with Syracuse, many NFL coaches, including New Orleans head coach Sean Payton, said Marrone would one day end up as a head coach in the NFL.

Syracuse ran an up-tempo, no-huddle offense this season, a system that’s becoming increasingly popular in the NFL. That, coupled with his NFL coaching experience, could make him a popular candidate for head coaching positions in the NFL.