Letter to the Editor

Professor argues with letter criticizing Costas’ rant in support of gun control

Robert Burwell, in his letter to The Daily Orange on Dec. 4, chastises Bob Costas for suggesting during the halftime of Sunday Night Football that “we should outlaw handguns.” I encourage students to find Costas’ comments online and listen to them carefully. What they will hear is an expression of concern about the gun culture in the United States, and a suggestion that the widespread possession of handguns is a factor in many violent deaths.

Burwell’s claim that Costas called for a blanket ban against handguns is simply untrue. It is, however, typical of how the gun lobby responds to proposals to regulate the sales and possession of guns in any way. Whether it has to do with the sale of armor piercing bullets, the ability of people on terrorist watch lists to wander into gun shows and purchase assault rifles, or anything else, all such suggestions are instantly equated with a diabolical plan to confiscate all firearms from Americans.

Laws pertaining to the sale of prescription drugs, the granting of drivers’ licenses and even how we dispose of our trash are for the most part noncontroversial. The idea that any regulation whatsoever of firearms is an intolerable violation of our rights is patently absurd.

Leonard S. Newman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
Area Director, Social Psychology Program

• http://www.facebook.com/bill.tsafa Bill Tsafa

The purpose of the Second Amendment is to arm people in order to prevent future tyranny. They need the tools to do this.

The term “Well Regulated” in the Second Amendment meant “Well Manned and Equipped ” in 1791 as was determined in the 1939 United States v. Miller case after referencing the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. The concept of Government Regulation, as we understand it today, did not exist at the time.

United States v. Miller also determined that the term “Arms” refers to “Ordinary Military Weapons”. American Citizens have the right to Keep and Bear, which means Own and Carry, any weapons that a soldier carries into battle. That includes past, present and future weapons. A Militia consisted of armed volunteers willing to fight with their personal arms and not under government control.

The American people still have a lot of work to do with regard to taking back their rights.

• David

When our Government doesn’t do stupid shit like giving assault weapons to drug cartels (when hell freezes over) we can talk.

Posse program changes disappoint, empower current SU scholars

The university announced about a month ago that SU would now only provide scholarships for future Posse scholars from Miami and would stop scholars from Atlanta and Los Angeles. But following a protest of the decision on Sept. 19, administrators announced they were rethinking the changes and on Monday decided to continue the Atlanta Posse for one more year. Although the changes will not affect current Posse scholars, the uncertainty surrounding the program has strengthened the Posse community on campus. Read more »