Club Sports

SU ice hockey team struggles with consistency in season riddled with injuries

Injuries aside, it was a weekend to forget for the Syracuse club ice hockey team.

Going up against the defending American Collegiate Hockey Association Division-I champions, University of Delaware, the undermanned Orange faced a formidable challenge on the road.

Missing top defensemen Scott Briggs and Jim Guida, as well as key forwards Nick Hockler and Simon Herbert, the No. 23 Orange (10-5-1) was at a disadvantage before the puck even dropped. The No. 18 Blue Hens (10-6-1) cruised to a pair of victories by a combined 13-1 score, sweeping the two-game set.

In both games, Syracuse hung tight with Delaware for more than half the game, matching the Blue Hens’ physical play. The Orange trailed 3-1 and 3-0 after the second period in each game — both ample deficits, but certainly not insurmountable.

But with players forced to fill expanded roles they are not necessarily comfortable in, Syracuse knew it was only a matter of time until the team’s lack of defensive depth set it.

“You can play them even for as long as possible, but eventually (Delaware) will take over,” freshman goaltender Jaime Ketchabaw said. “Their size, speed, endurance and skill killed us in the end.”

Dealing with these injuries has been hard to overcome for the Orange. When at full strength earlier in the season, Syracuse beat No. 25 West Chester twice on the road and No. 14 Rhode Island in its home opener — the same Rhode Island team that has already beaten Delaware twice this season.

While injuries have undoubtedly plagued this team, Syracuse players refuse to let it be an excuse.

“It’s tough to play now with a depleted roster, but we are still accountable,” right wing Russell Suskind said. “Whatever team we put on the ice, we feel we should be able to compete with any team in the country. It takes all 20 guys to win.”

When it’s healthy, Syracuse has proven it can indeed contend with the top teams both in the Northeast Collegiate Hockey League and the Eastern States Collegiate Hockey League, which includes Delaware, Rhode Island and West Chester.

Within its division, the injury-riddled Orange defeated Buffalo in a shootout, man handled Oswego State 5-1 and came up short against Niagara for a 5-4 loss.

Now the losers of four straight, the fourth-place Orange is preparing for a big weekend slate that features a home game against Binghamton and a road game against rival No. 20 Niagara.

While both games have league implications, SU’s matchup with Niagara is worth a little more than points in the standings.

“We have had a longstanding rivalry with Niagara for the past several years,” senior captain Wes Rene said. “They don’t particularly like us and we don’t particularly like them.”

With just 10 regular-season games remaining, it is crunch time for a crippled Syracuse team poised with high expectations for the season. The Orange sits well within striking distance of second-place Niagara, and a win against the Purple Eagles on Saturday night would give the Orange a much-needed boost heading into winter break.

“As a competitor, you look forward to beating the best teams on your schedule,” Rene said. “Good teams expect to win. We are a good team, and we expect nothing less than two big wins this weekend.”