RUNNING AWAY: Syracuse breaks out of shooting slump, cruises past Central Connecticut State

Ziniu Chen | Staff Photographer

C.J. Fair pulls up to shoot a jumper against Central Connecticut State on Sunday.

It took 11 minutes for Syracuse to end concerns about its shooting, or questions about when the Orange would sustain a rhythm offensively. Central Connecticut State kept the score close during those first minutes, but Syracuse emphatically ended that, too.

The No. 7 Orange (12-1) closed the first half on a 29-5 run powered by a flurry of 3-pointers to turn the close game into a blowout and earn a 96-62 win over the Blue Devils (4-7) in the Carrier Dome Monday. The 17,550 fans in attendance watched as Syracuse put on the type of offensive performance that eluded the Orange in recent games, as SU sank 10 3s in the game and shot 50.6 percent from the field. Five players scored in double figures, and point guard Michael Carter-Williams scored 18 points and fell one rebound short of a triple-double in a bounce-back game.

“It was our intensity, definitely. We picked up our intensity, and that’s when things started going right for us,” Carter-Williams said. “We need to play with that intensity.”

Kyle Vinales hit a 3-pointer at about the nine-minute mark of the first half to give Central Connecticut a 21-18 lead. It was his third 3 of the game at that point. The Blue Devils were hitting shots with ease. But they quickly went cold and the shooting malaise that hung over Syracuse for the past two games vanished.

SU small forward C.J. Fair hit a jumper in the lane to start the run. About two minutes later, Carter-Williams, who missed his first three shots of the game, hit a 3-pointer from the top of the key.

Vinales then hit another 3 for the Blue Devils, but Carter-Williams found Fair open in the left corner for another triple. Carter-Williams and guard Trevor Cooney, who missed his first two 3-point attempts, each hit a 3 to expand Syracuse’s lead to 39-24.

“When the ball goes in the basket, it’s no secret that you play better,” head coach Jim Boeheim said. “The game unfolds better. We hit a couple 3s and loosened things up and we were able to get by, get into the lane and make some plays.”

By the time the first half ended, SU led 47-26. Central Connecticut had two baskets in the final nine minutes of the period after draining five 3s in the first 11 minutes. Syracuse finished the first half with seven 3-pointers.

In the Orange’s last two games against Alcorn State and Temple, Syracuse shot 37.5 percent and 44.6 percent from the field, respectively.

“What changed is we were more patient on offense. The last games we were kind of rushing, one pass and the ball was going up,” said forward James Southerland, who scored 11 points and hit one 3. “We did a better job of moving the ball, and even if we didn’t get anything, we still moved in our offense. It created better opportunities.”

Carter-Williams hit another 3 from the left wing in the first minute of the second half to continue Syracuse’s scoring attack. Freshman center DaJuan Coleman then had a nice aggressive play as he backed down Blue Devils forward Joe Efese and drew a foul. He hit only one of two free throws, but he would go on to score eight more points in the half.

Meanwhile, the Orange continued its hot shooting from the outside, including a 3 from freshman Jerami Grant from the left wing to put Syracuse up 73-40 with 11:40 remaining.

After the game, Boeheim said his team hasn’t been in a slump. Players are going to hit parts of their season where their shots aren’t falling like they normally do, he said. But Syracuse broke out from its shooting struggles Monday.

“You just keep playing. In the long run, at the end of the day, the percentages will be what they are. They’ll be where they’re going to be,” Boeheim said “We have guys that can make shots. I think that’s important. I think we do have capabilities of different guys to make shots from the perimeter. That’s a good thing.”

When those first 11 minutes ended, Syracuse hit shots from all over the floor. The Orange’s intensity and aggressiveness increased, it shut off Central Connecticut’s looks to the basket and its offense flowed.

“We played defense, scored points, get a little bit of momentum. It works,” guard Brandon Triche said. “We’re a team of runs. We’ve always been a team of runs. So once we get a few stops, our offense is much better.”