Letter to the Editor

Anniversary of Roe v. Wade calls for celebration, attention to issues of women’s health

Why the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade means a new beginning:

Jan. 22, 2013 marks the 40th anniversary of the Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade, a decision that legalized abortion in the United States. This decision single-handedly has saved lives, and now it is our job to honor this historic event.

Many people my age don’t know what it was like to grow up without access to safe and legal abortion, and I hope that my sister will grow up this way, too. According to a 2012 Gallup poll, 77 percent of Americans think abortion should be legal in some or all cases, though the language we use to discuss abortion no longer reflects this statistic. Actually, the ways in which people discuss abortion has changed entirely.

More than ever, I hear people discussing abortion without using the terms “pro-choice” or “pro-life.” Labels simply do not explain the complexity of this health matter and cannot be defined within the limitations of two terms. Abortion is a deeply personal health matter, plain and simple.

Across the nation, we are united through our shared belief in access to safe and legal health services – including abortion. We also know that our politicians should not make these health decisions for women. Every woman has her own story, and we don’t walk in her shoes.

Therefore, as we celebrate the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, we are beginning a new conversation about abortion and women’s health. These issues aren’t so black and white, they never have been, and now we’re speaking up about it. College students like me care about continuing the legacy of Roe.

Erin Carhart

Syracuse University 2014

Young Leaders Advisory Council Member

Planned Parenthood Federation of America

• Tony R.

“This decision single-handedly has saved lives, and now it is our job to honor this historic event.”

How twisted must the writer’s mind be to believe such tripe? 55 million human lives snuffed out by abortionists since that infamous Supreme Court decision and the writer has the gall to talk about “saved lives” and “honor”. That’s equivalent to the combined populations of 77 of the largest cities in the United States! We wouldn’t even expect that kind of devastation in a nuclear war.

Eric Carhart, there is no honor here, only sorrow. My God, what have we done?

• Tony R.

Here is a list of most-populous cities in the United States whose population totals about 55 million, according to the Census of 2010:

New York, New York
    Los Angeles, California
    Chicago, Illinois
    Houston, Texas
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Phoenix, Arizona
    San Antonio, Texas
    San Diego, California
    Dallas, Texas
    San Jose, California
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Austin, Texas
    San Francisco, California
    Columbus, Ohio
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Detroit, Michigan
    El Paso, Texas
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Seattle, Washington
    Denver, Colorado
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Washington, District of Columbia
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Portland, Oregon
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Tucson, Arizona
    Fresno, California
    Sacramento, California
    Long Beach, California
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Mesa, Arizona
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Miami, Florida
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Oakland, California
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Wichita, Kansas
    Arlington, Texas
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Bakersfield, California
    Tampa, Florida
    Anaheim, California
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Aurora, Colorado
    Santa Ana, California
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Riverside, California
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Stockton, California
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Toledo, Ohio
    Newark, New Jersey
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Plano, Texas
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Buffalo, New York
    Henderson, Nevada
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Jersey City, New Jersey
    Chula Vista, California
    Saint Petersburg, Florida

• nyknicks19

strongly disagree with yet another entitled poster on the dailyorange…..widely available abortion merely subsidizes risky behavior and transfers the costs of the irresponsible to the public…obviously this is not always the case, and I am not necessarily morally opposed to abortion….in instances such as rape, and where two committed individuals are on the same page i think it should be dealt with privately, and up to the couple.

however, simply enabling anyone easy access to abortion will increase risky behavior and short-term thinking…STD’s will go up, there will be more instability in relationships, kids will start engaging in risky behavior at younger ages….

liberals love to jump without fully thinking about the repercussions….I advise the writer of this piece to study sources other than Huffington Post to get a better understanding on this issue.

• http://profile.yahoo.com/WMJXDQ2EYQFCPJX254IWBZJKII Rob

If Mr Carhart is a leader in the Advisory council, with his view that 55 million unborn babies being slaughtered, is saving lives,it must be one pathetic organization.

The Quiet Corner

Brandon Reddish doesn't say much. He doesn't like to and he doesn't need to. The Syracuse cornerback leads an Orange secondary that's held opponents to 197.6 passing yards per game. Read more »