Ice Hockey

Assistant coach Domenico connects with, leads players

Brandon Weight | Staff Photographer

Syracuse forward Holly Carrie-Mattimoe has praised assistant coach Alison Domenico's approach this season.

Alison Domenico doesn’t fire shots at the net and doesn’t make key defensive plays, but the assistant coach does help the ice hockey team play well, day in and day out.

“She knows what each player needs to work on, so she’ll focus on that with that certain player,” said senior Holly Carrie-Mattimoe.

Domenico played 153 games at St. Lawrence University from 2006-2009. Her 29 power play goals tie her for the most power play goals in the school’s history.

Syracuse head coach Paul Flanagan was Domenico’s head coach at St. Lawrence from freshman to junior year. As a result, players like Carrie-Mattimoe have noticed similarities between Domenico and Flanagan’s coaching styles. Her experience playing under Flanagan helps her connect with and better instruct her players.

While playing in college, Domenico reached the NCAA Tournament every year, including the Frozen Four in 2006 and 2007. During her senior year, the SU assistant coach was named the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Defensive Forward of the Year, and made second-team, all-league.

“She was coached by coach Flanagan as well, so they kind of have the same mentality,” Carrie-Mattimoe said. “Everyone respects her so it’s not any different than coach Flanagan being on the ice.”

Before coming to the Orange, Domenico was an assistant coach at Ohio State from 2010-2011. She helped players with their skills, worked on video analysis and the team’s day-to-day operations. Domenico came to Syracuse as an assistant coach in 2011.

Earlier in the season, Flanagan talked about SU’s need for more offensive production, which is where Domenico has been helping out.

“She will help out if people wanna go out on the ice early and have a one-on-one session,” Carrie-Mattimoe said.

But it’s not just on the ice that Carrie-Mattimoe has noticed Domenico’s effect on the team.

Carrie-Mattimoe said she thinks of Domenico as a great coach, and someone that’s a perfect fit at Syracuse. She also said the girls on the team love learning from her and following her lead.

Carrie-Mattimoe is a captain, forcing her to be more vocal and present in the locker room, but she isn’t the only player noticing Domenico’s effect on the team.

Even the usually soft-spoken junior Shiann Darkangelo praised SU’s assistant coach.

“She’s easy to talk to,” Darkangelo said. “I love her, she’s awesome.”

Asst. sports editor Jacob Klinger and Ryan Raigrodski contributed reporting to this article.