Track and Field

Low-key 1000-meter race eases injury-prone Malone into season

Only six runners competed in the 1000-meter race at the Penn State National Open last weekend – three from Syracuse and three from Georgetown.

The race at the Horace Ashenfelter III Indoor Track facility was originally supposed to host eight competitors before West Virginia and Johns Hopkins runners backed out. 

The smaller field made it just the kind of event Syracuse junior Molly Malone needed in her first 1000-meter race of the season.

“It was kind of low-key compared to other races,” Malone said. “I think we did pretty well. It was the first 1000 I’ve done this season and I think it went well.”

Malone’s third-place finish was a good starting point for her season in the 1000-meter race. She’s used to competing in the high-profile races – last season she took eighth in the 800-meter at the Big East championship and reached the national quarterfinal in the same race at the NCAA East Preliminary Round.

But now she’s injury-prone, battling tendinitis in her foot.

Syracuse track and field coach Chris Fox has become accustomed to dealing with Malone’s injuries. He recognizes her potential – she holds the school record in the indoor 800-meter run (2:07.81) – but he also knows the importance of easing up her training.

“With Molly, our first goal is keeping her healthy,” Fox said. “We are never really training (her) at the level we should, but she’s super talented and if you keep her healthy for four to five straight weeks, she’s really good.”

In high school, she broke her sesamoid bone, a bone that holds the tendons and ligaments in the big toe together. She has been able to successfully run despite the injury, but this season it has flared up again.

Every day before practice, Malone receives treatment in the training rooms in either Manley Field House or the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center. The treatment allows her to train and practice at a level that keeps her in racing shape.

“I don’t really feel it in the races because I’m in the racing zone,” Malone said. “But when you think in terms of training, it does affect me because I can’t get as good training under me.”

Malone competes in both the 800-meter and 1000-meter, yet excels in the shorter race because of her strength and speed.

“Her speed really makes her one of the best 800 runners on the team,” distance runner Lauren Penney said. “At the start she really goes for it and puts herself in the race, something really important in a race as short as the 800.”

The 800-meter run is also easier for Malone to wrap her head around than the 1000-meter. The race is shorter and she doesn’t have to worry as much about her toe flaring up.

While she is pleased to be in the Syracuse record books, Malone hopes to primarily stay healthy this season and ultimately break her own record.

And after her third-place finish at Penn State, Malone is quietly getting back on track.

“The record is nice to have, but I think I can do better,” Malone said. “Hopefully by tending to this injury now I can get there by outdoor season. It’s definitely a reachable goal.”