Syracuse offensive lineman Justin Pugh declares for NFL Draft

Andrew Renneisen | Staff Photographer

Justin Pugh signs an autograph in Yankee Stadium on Dec. 28 at an event prior to the Pinstripe Bowl. Pugh declared for the NFL Draft Thursday, foregoing his final season of eligibility.

Justin Pugh announced via his Twitter account Thursday that he will forego his final season of eligibility and enter the 2013 NFL Draft.

The Syracuse University Athletic Department announced Pugh is leaving SU in a press release. Pugh, a two-time All-Big East First Team tackle, thanked his coaches, teammates and fans.

“Coach Marrone and Coach Adkins have been great throughout my career, including through this process,” Pugh said in the press release. “I wanted to be honest with everyone as I made this decision and they were the same with me. My Syracuse career was the best four years of my life. My teammates, coaches, the staff and the fans have been great. I would not change anything about my decision to attend Syracuse or my career.”

Pugh missed the first four games of the season with an injury, but once he returned SU won six of its final eight games, including the Pinstripe Bowl. Pugh also helped pave the way for Jerome Smith to rush for 1,000 yards, the third 1,000-yard rusher Pugh has blocked for in his three seasons at Syracuse.

Pugh, who has already completed his finance degree requirements, ranked as one of the top offensive tackles for the 2014 NFL Draft, had he stayed at SU next year. He is projected as a mid-round pick whose stock could rise early in the second round.