Generation Y

Hodge: Cultural significane of “Harlem Shake” lost in viral video fad

We’ve all attempted the “Harlem Shake.” It’s a movement that even I – not the most athletic or graceful person in the world – can attempt. The shoulders and hips move in a dynamic flow that allows for personality in a swaying of the upper body.

According to a Feb.15 article by The Root, the dance was created in 1981 by a man named Al B, who once danced during intermissions at the Entertainer’s Basketball Classic in Harlem, N.Y.

It is a piece of urban culture, a celebration of life and soul in an upper Manhattan neighborhood that has seen its share of poverty, brutality and suffering. Outsiders can only try to interpret the dance.

However, for millions who attempt to recreate the dance via YouTube, the interpretation is pure chaos, executed in unicorn costumes.

The standard viral video of the dance consists of an individual bobbing to “Harlem Shake” by Baauer, a song with an in-and-out techno beat. Fifteen seconds into the song, an auto-tuned voice is heard: “Do the Harlem Shake.” Then, pure chaos as people gyrate, try to crunk or awkwardly sway.

Essentially, it’s like a middle school dance on excessive steroids.

The viral “Harlem Shake” videos have received responses from individuals in the heart of Harlem. A video posted on YouTube shows individuals with horrified expressions watching the remake “Harlem Shake” videos on an iPhone.

Common reactions include: “What are they doing?” “That’s not the Harlem Shake” and “Find a new hobby.” The final message of the video is written in large, white block letters: “Please use the Harlem Shake Responsibly.”

Six days after its release, the reaction video reached more than seven million views.

I admit that I have been a part of two “Harlem Shake” videos. The groups I filmed with saw the fad as something to which we could add our own signature.

A large group of us gathered, put on onesies, masks, brightly colored leggings, wigs, tutus, old Halloween costumes and anything else of dramatic and ridiculous proportion.

Like any other viral meme, we put our mark on the dance, filmed and shared.

We have seen various fads and memes in our days, such as planking and “The Cinnamon Challenge.” Both of these were generated by one person and grew into people performing the acts themselves, then posting their experiences on social media.

I have witnessed far too many cinnamon challenge videos, all of which conclude with a person spewing the spicy powder from their mouth, followed by excessive screaming.

It never ends well, and we know it’s coming.

Fads are always predictable, and only briefly entertaining.

So why do we continue to create videos when we know they result in negative consequences?

As the final words of the “Harlem Shake” reactionary video suggests, we often abuse our ability to easily recreate and share. Of course, the fads we produce, for the most part, are harmless.

But perhaps as one of the most popular fads, the “Harlem Shake” videos have proven the irresponsibility of our obsession with video trends.

We unintentionally took something culturally significant from a particular place and made it ours.

Of course, the fads will continue; there is no going back now. However, we need to remember that what we perceive as truly insignificant may, in fact, have roots in something beyond our corner of the universe.

If we ignore this for the sake of an entertaining 30-second video, then we are putting our trending addiction before someone else’s culture.

I only wish I had thought about this when I put on a pink onesie and Batman mask and “did the Harlem Shake.”

Anna Hodge is a freshman magazine journalism major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter at @annabhodge.