Pulp

APPreciation: Voxer, the walkie-talkie app

Which sounds more fun: sending your friends arbitrary text messages while walking across the Quad and risking running into passersby as you stare at your screen? Or sending covert, walkie-talkie-like voice messages without ever having to type?

The obvious answer is the latter, and it is made entirely possible by the Voxer application.

The Voxer app, created by CEO Tom Katis, caters to the anti-texter by basing all of its message function off of a touch-to-talk button. It truly is a walkie-talkie for the touch-screen age. The design features a little character reminiscent of the Android green robot, and is loosely based off of the image of a walkie-talkie, which adds to the user’s already child-like level of euphoria when speaking into the device in a secret spy voice.

But childhood dreams aside, the best part of the app, by far, is the ability to create chat rooms with friends that incorporate several voices into one forum. The layout of the chat room allows the user to scroll through all of the clips in the chat, listening to them in succession, simulating a constantly streaming conversation.

While the chat room function is fun for users of all ages and situational contexts, college students in particular should take note of the function’s usefulness, especially if in a situation when one has consumed a few too many intoxicating substances and is losing track of party companions.

Drunk texting carries the inherent risk of typos or worse, accidentally texting an unintended wrong number (just hope it’s not your dad). With Voxer, users can keep track of everyone without having to worry about dexterity or a phone’s contact list.

So, whether you’re aching to channel your inner Jason Bourne, sick of losing track of all of your friends when you throw back one too many or perhaps all of the above, Voxer is an app you need to try. It is available for both iPhone and Android users.