Pulp

‘Game of Thrones’ trivia night features new ale

Brewery Ommegang has challenged everyone to seize the throne with the release of its “Game of Thrones”-inspired Iron Throne Blonde Ale. So, to properly prepare for the tasting, I suited up for battle with Syracuse Club Ultimate Team Scooby Doom for some action in Rochester and won every game before cheering on the Orange watching a television that used the Instagram comically fuzzy-80s-live-television filter. Flushed with victory, I headed to the Beer Belly Deli and Pub for the launch party.

I’ve never been to Westeros, but its iron must be more comfortable than our Iron Thrones would be, because there is no bite in this beer. This luxurious summer ale reflects the blonde hair of the despicable King Joffrey. Just like Joffrey, Iron Throne would be defeated in one-on-one combat with young wolf Robb Stark.

The good news: All of that is irrelevant because this beer is freaking delicious.

If you’re a beer drinker, you’ll appreciate the craftsmanship that went into the recipe. You’ll find familiar elements from your favorite summer seals, like grains of paradise and lemon zest. Budding beer snobs might be turned off by the low hop content, but this increases its appeal to non-beer drinkers. Those same snobs might want to think about keeping an Iron Throne around for when you invite that cute girl on Ostrom Avenue to come over and watch the season finale.

The general consensus of everyone I talked to was that Iron Throne could be a gateway to harder stuff. This is an accessible 6.5-percent alcohol by volume beer that’s refreshing the whole way down and won’t fill you up. The numbers back it up, too. A certain fanatically beloved regional grocery chain sold 58 cases of Iron Throne in its first week of limited release.

The light body and refreshing taste are two great qualities for both day-drinking and having more than one. We were lucky enough to be at Beer Belly’s, where they kept our glasses full. Not only does Iron Throne taste great, just looking at the special “Game of Thrones” glasses that the beer is served in invites you to take another sip.

I spoke with two alumni, and they described the beer as being pretty light but not too spicy. I asked if they could identify any of the spices and they determined it was more of a Baby-Ginger mix than the typical Posh or harsher Scary. They’re also pulling for the Starks because they know winter is always coming in Syracuse.

Ommegang was not messing around with the trivia. Some of the questions were insane. That said, my brain trust consisting of the Scooby Doom seniors triumphed. Cersei told Ned Stark that in the game of thrones, you win or you die. The Orange basketball team’s victory created such elation that the atmosphere was not even affected — other than the mess.

I talked to two trivia participants in between rounds, and they brought up a valid concern with Iron Throne. You have to pay for quality, and this beer is not cheap. Beer Belly was selling pints for $6, and a 25-ounce bottle is about $9 at Wegmans. The expense caused the participants to lower an otherwise-stellar beer to a B-rating. Still, they are big Ommegang fans and hold them to a deservedly high standard.

All things considered, Iron Throne is a beer for special occasions. You’re probably only going to have one, but you’re going to be ready for more when you’re done. While it might stretch your budget, you’re drinking a higher-quality beer than you’re used to. Pair this up with a few other summer beers — as long as you steer clear from the Leinenkugel Shandys — and you’re in for a great night.

If you’re looking for something to do while you drink it, check out some of my “Game of Thrones” drinking game suggestions from last Wednesday. If you want more information on the beer or any other Ommegang products, email [email protected].