Beer Bites

Beer Bites: St. Patrick’s Day

It’s March. That means I can finally start pretending it’s spring while winter wears out its welcome. More importantly, it’s the playoffs for beer drinkers. St. Patrick’s Day is the Super Bowl for the beer media, and we treat it as such with not one, not two, but three straight weeks of coverage.

A little history on the holiday: “Saint” Patrick was a factory owner during the Industrial Revolution at the height of anti-Irish immigrant sentiment in America. He hired newcomers off of the boat and paid them in whiskey, thus earning their love and the nickname “Saint,” after some Irish saint who drove all of the snakes out of Ireland with promises of better weather in Spain.

Now, every year on March 17, Americans of all backgrounds re-enact the scene that would ensue in the streets outside of Saint Patrick’s factory on pay day.

The first round of playoff boozing begins with a battle between Irish Red ales from the Harpoon Brewery and the Great Lakes Brewing Company. These ales are special because the malts match the hops — if you know what I mean. These sweet yet oddly religious brews are usually a glorious shade of red, which you should be able to taste, have a medium body, especially compared to a typical Irish stout, and are sweeter than the usual winter seasonal.

As I’ve mentioned before, the most important feature of an Irish Red is that the beer has to taste like a red. For example, when I’m drinking red ales like Harpoon’s, I need to be overcome with the need to challenge my arch-frenemy to a game of “Guess Who?” while they drink Wachusett Blueberry Ale.

As a bonus, both the Harpoon Celtic Red and Great Lakes Conway’s Irish Ale have sweet labels to add to your house’s bottle display.

Harpoon is a Boston-based – or, depending on the batch, a Vermont-based – brewery more known for its India Pale Ale than other brews. It currently offers three styles of IPA that set the beer apart from other brands that went all in on their one IPA, like Dogfish Head. The bottom of the flavor profile is defined by a strong caramel malt flavor topped off with sweet flavors. The palette is not overly complex and should be drunken while contemplating the suffering of the Irish during the great potato blight in the 1800s. Harpoon Celtic Red is 5.4% alcohol by volume and is available until the end of March.

Great Lakes Conway’s Irish Ale takes its name from the brewer’s grandfather, who worked as a police officer in Cleveland. An Irish policeman – who saw that coming? This has a more floral aroma and is sweeter than Harpoon. The caramel flavors are largely replaced with Crystal 77 malt, which contributes to the sweeter scent. I prefer Harpoon’s mellower palette, but this is a great choice if you’re looking for a beer to sit on while waiting for the next round of whiskey to come your way.

Remember, the green beer may be on special, but the real drinkers can be found in the back of the bar, cozying up next to an Irish Red. Stay tuned next week for the Guinness family of beers reunion!