SU Abroad

Student safety when studying abroad a top priority for SU, Cornell University

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, Alexis Santi was misquoted. Santi said the travel registry at Cornell University makes the paperwork easier for student and provides a structured way for the university to support students’ travel. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

Some colleges and universities are reviewing and revising their emergency plans for students studying abroad in case of political and natural disasters.

Cornell University recently launched a travel registry that is designed to increase the safety of students and faculty members traveling abroad. While there are no plans for a similar registry at Syracuse University, the school is fully equipped to deal with any emergencies abroad, said Julie Riverso, assistant director of admissions, counseling and student services at SU Abroad.

The Cornell study abroad registry provides students with access to the school’s emergency service provider, said Alexis Santi, the coordinator of travel safety at Cornell. It also provides students with their insurance information, the appropriate documentation to support their travel and a confirmation document with trip materials, Santi said.

“Not only does it make the paperwork easier for students, but it also provides a structured way for the university to support their travel,” Santi said.

The international travel registry includes more than 18 pages of forms that must be filled out by hand, then submitted by faxing or scanning them, Santi said. The new system will save Cornell thousands of hours each year in filing international travel paperwork, he said.

This registry was necessary for Cornell to be able to respond to events that happen abroad, especially due to the large number of students and faculty members abroad in different places at the same time, he said. The system of collecting information was necessary for Cornell to be able to respond to an emergency in an efficient manner, he said.

While SU Abroad does not have the same policy as Cornell, student safety is a top priority, Riverso said. Students are given detailed information on safety and security matters, including emergency phone numbers and safety practices to follow. These safety practices include staying informed, keeping a low profile and exercising caution in public places, she said.

“These notices are routinely provided through announcements on bulletin boards, emails and announcements in class,” Riverso said. “Depending on the severity of the threat, students may also be contacted by phone and advised what measures to take.”

In addition, SU Abroad has an experienced task force capable of dealing with emergencies, as well as an emergency procedures manual containing action plans for crisis situations, including evacuation, Riverso said. SU Abroad staff members in both Syracuse and abroad are available by phone to deal with emergencies, she said.

“SU Abroad staff members in Syracuse and at each of our centers abroad constantly monitor world events via up-to-the-minute bulletins from various sources, including the U.S. State Department, our international safety partner, International S.O.S., and various media outlets,” Riverso said.

Center directors at SU Abroad also regularly communicate with the local police, the U.S. consulate and other study program directors in the host city, she said, adding that the level of security exponentially increases with high-risk-level areas such as the Middle East.