Pulp

Documentary ‘Thin Ice’ defines issues, science of climate change

The journey started in Antarctica, a continent only scientists and researchers can live on given its extremely low temperatures.

But the cold continent has significant scientific values, and according to the documentary “Thin Ice: The Inside Story of Climate Science,” Antarctica contains “not only frozen water, but frozen climate and frozen climate history.”

The 73-minutelong documentary film detailing the highly debated topic of climate change was screened in Eggers Hall on Monday night.

Directors David Sington and Simon Lamb guided the audience on an environmental journey traveling back millions of years across four continents. The directors interviewed dozens of scientists and worked for almost three years to finish the film with support from Oxford University in the United Kingdom and Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.

In Antarctica, scientists drilled holes nearly 1,000 meters deep and analyzed the components of the retrieved ice cores. Through analyzing these icicles, scientists gathered information about the climate’s history back when they began forming.

Nancy Bertler, a paleoclimatologist featured in the film, said the process was like “taking DNA from the atmosphere.”

After collecting and analyzing the data, scientists argued Antarctica had been a very stable place — a giant piece of ice that never changed until about 15-20 years ago. Since then, it has been a hot spot for potential climate change.

The film also included topics about the energy it takes to absorb heat from the sun, the sun’s radiation and the role of the ocean, since it covers two-thirds of the earth’s surface.

Through gathering scientific data like that featured in “Thin Ice,” scientists try to predict the future of climate change by discussing different models that study climate sensibility.

Still, some concerns exist that global warming might be just a part of temperature fluctuation. But the final question falls on the diminishing carbon dioxide in the air. The changing pattern of carbon dioxide is very similar to the changing temperature.

Steven Harris, a freshman geology major, said he thinks climate change is a really interesting topic.

“Time is changing and climate is changing, as well,” Harris said.

He added that it helps to understand the past as well as the future, and that the film can help people better understand climate change.

David Moss, a graduate student in the College of Arts and Sciences, said that despite controversy about whether the climate is really changing, he thinks it is.

“It is based on simple science, and (the movie) tries to show how simple it is,” he said. “It is unfortunate that more people don’t accept what science tells them.”

The only thing he would love to see is suggestions about how people can solve the problem, Moss said.

James Brower, a retired professor of geology, is also a climate change believer. He said the film is a clear interpretation of the science behind global warming, but still thinks it is not dramatic enough to bring change from certain political institutions.

“It is happening. There is no question about it,” Brower said. “The science has been known for a long time. The science is sound.”

He also mentioned that the question is about whether climate change is caused by people producing more carbon dioxide or if it is a part of a natural cycle.

Said Brower: “I think if we continue on the path that we’re currently going, with respect to CO2 and some other possible consequences of global warming, we’re going to be in great trouble.”