Science and Technology

Dually noted: Google launches digital note-taking app, competes with Evernote

In 2008, Evernote was launched. Its goal was to remember everything.

Whether capturing an image or typing out a note, the application was intended to be easily accessible from any device. On March 20, powerhouse Google entered the note-taking arena with the release of Google Keep. Rumored to be a clone of Evernote, Google Keep stresses a minimalistic approach, according to a March 25Mashable.com article.

On the surface, Evernote and Google Keep have similar basic functions. Both allow for the storing of text-based, picture-based and audio-based notes. In addition, both apps constantly sync with The Cloud to ensure all notated data is saved, according to Mashable.com.

But the similarities end there. Evernote, which has been around for five years, has a rich mobile and desktop experience that is unmatched by Google Keep. The polished interface of Evernote also allows users to conduct class research effectively with the application’s “web page clipper,” according to Mashable.com.

Google Keep’s simplicity and limited capabilities make it useful in a different context. In addition, Google Keep’s notification abilities are also limited because the application does not allow users to set reminders, according to a March 27 article published by The New York Times.

Google Keep is still in its infancy, but its key advantage is that it syncs directly with Google Docs. It is also predicted that it will integrate seamlessly with other Google products, such as Gmail, as the application matures, according to Mashable.com.

Nate Frechette, a business management major at LeMoyne College, said he likes using technology to keep him organized.

“I have terrible handwriting, and Evernote keeps me more organized and helps me jot stuff down,” he said.

Allowing users to easily transcribe information from the Web to their Evernote digital notebooks increases their organization. In addition, Evernote has the capability to convert handwritten notes into searchable data after a picture has been taken with the application, according to Mashable.com.

But Malcolm Navarro, a freshman computer science major, said he feels notes are better when they’re written down.

“Google Keep is good for reminders, but it’s easier to just write longer notes out by hand,” he said.

Emily Luther, a writing professor who works at the Writing Center, teaches students to hone research topics for writing classes. She said digital note-taking platforms allow students to streamline research and make it more efficient.

“The nice thing about digital note-taking is that it allows students to compile a lot of data, whether it is by cutting and pasting, or linking,” she said. “It is easier to filter and search the data so it is more useful to you.”