Student Association

Four fraudulent votes cast during impeachment vote at SA meeting Monday

UPDATED: April 3, 2013 at 11:02 p.m.

Four false ballots were cast during Monday night’s closed-door impeachment vote against Student Association President Allie Curtis.

During Monday night’s vote, 29 general assembly members voted against continuing the impeachment process and 18 voted in favor. The vote was originally recorded as 31 for not continuing with the impeachment process and 20 in favor.

The four false ballots did not swing the result of the vote one way or another.

The Student Association issued a press release Wednesday afternoon stating it will look into the matter fully. Board of Elections and Membership Chair Emily Ballard referenced the attendance records with the ballots and discovered inconsistencies, according to the release. All of Monday’s ballots were signed by those in attendance, and collected and counted by the Office of Student Activities Advisors, according to the release.

The Daily Orange obtained a copy of an email Ballard sent to assembly members, informing them of the inconsistencies. The general assembly can either accept the vote with the false ballots thrown out or motion for a revote, Ballard said.

Information regarding what the assembly will choose to do has not yet been released.

“The action of submitting fraudulent votes was wrong and deceiving to the entire Student Association and the student body in a time that was crucial for us to conduct business and make decisions properly,” Ballard told the assembly in the email.