Beyond the Hill

Indecent exposure: Pasadena City College professor comes under fire for inviting porn actor to speak

Jack McGowan | Contributing Illustrator

As controversy surrounds an unorthodox class offered at Pasadena City College, the professor stands behind his decision to invite actors starring in pornographic films as guest lecturers.

Professor Hugo Schwyzer describes himself as an author, speaker and professor who shatters gender myths, according to his website.  However, in light of recent events, he has become a source of controversy at PCC, the college at which he has taught for 20 years.

The purpose of his class, “Navigating Pornography,” is to provide a safe, yet intellectually serious forum for discussing pornography, which has become a significant aspect of society, Schwyzer said.

Schwyzer said he believes porn has become an ever-increasing influence in society and the development of young people.

“Young people today grow up in a porn-saturated culture, but they get very few opportunities to actually talk about the porn they are seeing, without being lectured at, humiliated or mocked,” Schwyzer said.

The course is designed to observe the history of pornography and its effect on one’s life. No pornography is watched in the classroom, but instead is assigned as homework, according to a March 29 The College Fix article.

The class became increasingly controversial when Schwyzer invited James Deen, a pornographic actor and PCC graduate, to talk to both students and the public.

The event was scheduled for Feb. 27, but was then canceled.  A statement released by PCC on Feb 26 cited Schwyzer’s failure to obtain the correct facility use permits as the reason for the cancellation.

Schwyzer, who has taught the class before, said that in the past he has brought in members of the pornography industry as guest lecturers.  Schwyzer also said on his blog that he has invited similarly controversial figures such as Irv Rubin, founder of the Jewish Defense League, who plotted to murder of a congressman, without requiring special permits.

“Bringing in controversial speakers, bringing up uncomfortable subjects, is what we’re supposed to do,” Schwyzer said. “If we are not doing that, especially in subjects like history and gender studies, then we’re not doing our job.”

Instead of holding a public event, Schwyzer said he was forced to limit the audience of Deen’s talk to his students only, which he described as a break in protocol.

“What most of us are convinced was going on is that they were embarrassed to have a PCC alumnus like James Deen speaking on campus, and they wanted to make it as quiet as possible,” Schwyzer said.

As a result of the cancellation, the event drew even more media attention, and was covered by media outlets such as the New York Daily News, the Pasadena Sun and BuzzFeed.

The administration warned that the event was too risky and that dangerous or even violent protestors could disrupt the event, Schwyzer said.

Mike Finkenbinder, division dean of social sciences at PCC, declined to comment.

After the event, Schwyzer wrote on his blog that he considered the visit to be a huge success, and that he felt lucky to have tenure.

Said Schwyzer: “I brought in the best-known straight male porn star in the world right now who also happens to be an alumnus of Pasadena City College; something of which the administration is apparently ashamed, and something of which I think our college should be duly proud.”