Six SU students appear in court for fight outside of Faegan’s Cafe and Pub

UPDATED: May 23, 2013 at 9:09 p.m.

Six Syracuse University students appeared in court Thursday after being arrested during a fight outside of Faegan’s Cafe and Pub on May 9. Two of the cases were dismissed with the conditions that those students must stay out of trouble for six months, while the other cases were adjourned for a later date.

In total, eight people, made up of current and former students, were arrested on charges that included disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, inciting a riot, harassment, obstructing governmental administration and unlawful possession of marijuana, according to Syracuse police. All eight spent the night in jail on May 9 and were arraigned at 9:30 a.m. the same day.

The students, represented by Christopher Burke of SU Student Legal Services, were involved in an altercation with several Syracuse Police Department officers that night.

Two of the students who were arrested, William Duarte and German Hubieral, pled guilty to disorderly conduct charges at the time of their arraignment. Both students received adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, where they must stay out of trouble for one year in order for their cases to be dismissed.

City Judge Theodore Limpert was the presiding judge and decided the following motions for the remaining six defendants:

• Tarik Bell, an SU alumnus, received ACD. Limpert said the case would be dismissed after six months as long as Bell lived “a law-abiding life.” His father was in the courtroom for support. Bell was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct.
  • Shanelle Gayle, a recent graduate of the L.C. Smith College of Engineering and Computer Science, received ACD after six months. Her mother and a friend were in the courtroom for support. She was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct.
  • Oluwaseun Olushoga, a recent graduate in L.C. Smith, had his case adjourned until June 27 at 2 p.m. He was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and unlawful possession of marijuana.
  • Curtis Richardson, a recent graduate in the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, had his case adjourned until June 27 at 2 p.m. He was arrested on charges of obstructing governmental administration, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
  • Ademar Perez, a recent graduate in Whitman, had his case adjourned until June 27 at 2 p.m. Perez’s appearance was waived by Hon. Limpert because Perez in Connecticut for the summer. He was arrested on charges of inciting a riot, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
  • Angie Garcia, a recent graduate in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, had her case adjourned until June 27 at 2 p.m. She was arrested on charges of obstructing governmental administration, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Four of the six students had their case adjourned pending further investigation by the district attorney’s office. It is standard practice for the DA’s office to talk to the officers involved to obtain more information, said Burke, the lawyer representing the students.

Following the appearance, none of the students would comment on Hon. Limpert’s motions.

James Duah-Agyeman, the director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs at SU, was also present for the cases.

Said Duah-Agyeman: “I’m here to support all students from Syracuse University.”