Pulp

Student creates startup company selling sunglasses, grows worldwide fan base

There is only one character more important in the conception of Sidebar Eyewear than company founder and rising Syracuse University senior Justin Sohn: his dog, Melo.

On a winter break day in December 2010, Sohn found his fresh, new pair of Oakley Sunglasses masticated and ruined, a casualty of Melo’s insatiable appetite. Not wanting to pay an exorbitant fee, Sohn grew frustrated in his search for an equally robust replacement.

Then he had an idea.

“I thought, ‘Why not make my own?’ I need shades for snowboarding, wakeboarding and other winter and water sports,” Sohn said.

In May 2011 Sohn ordered 11 pairs of durable and versatile sunglasses from a Chinese manufacturer. These became the prototype glasses for his startup, Sidebar Eyewear. Now, more than two years later, the company has a growing fan base from around the world.

“I was always trying to better an existing product. With sunglasses, I knew I had the creativity to build something new,” Sohn said.

The glasses are made with memory polymer, which allows a flexible return from a deformed shape, and makes the product immune to stress marks. And with snap bar hinges instead of screws, consumers can customize the glasses by interchanging arms and frames from different pairs.

Sohn enlisted friends, like SU senior public relations major Kenny Cousins, to test the models and show them off around campus. He did the same for each order – six of which have been made every few months since the original order in 2011.

“The glasses look like Oakley’s, but you can fully customize, and those days of breaking your glasses by simply stepping on them are over,” Cousins said.

Sohn launched a 40-day pre-ordering and fundraising campaign on indiegogo.com on May 22.

With a goal of $9,600, the campaign has already raised more than $2,000 in nearly two weeks. Orders have been placed from 10 different countries on four continents.

Sohn is offering sunglasses in exchange for donations, simultaneously spreading the product and raising capital. Pre-order sales are one pair for $25, two for $50, four for $80, 10 for $195, 20 for $395 and 40 for $1,000.

The fundraising is aimed at a young demographic, who have shown an interest in Sidebar’s “Snow, Beach, Chill” identity. Sohn said he wants Sidebar to represent youthful exuberance. Specifically, he wants them to be a must-have for avid sportsmen.

By charging a standard price of $25 – more than $100 less than a standard pair of Oakleys – Sohn said he is attempting to create the more affordable alternative he was looking for when his dog broke his glasses.

“For (Justin), Sidebar Eyewear is the sunglasses company the world has been waiting for,” said Sohn’s younger brother Jared, a sophomore at the University of Miami.

As of Monday afternoon, Sidebar’s Facebook page has reached 1297 likes and 1148 followers on Twitter.

Sohn has asked friends to volunteer their help to help grow the brand, although no one else has an official title because Sohn said he can’t yet afford to pay anyone.

By working to build a contagious network of fans and consumers, Sidebar is actively clearing the first hurdle to becoming a successful company. If Sohn can eventually compete with and surpass Oakley, he can thank his dog.