SUA replaces ambulance with up-to-date model

Syracuse University Ambulance has upgraded one of its ambulances, replacing the seven-year-old vehicle with a newer model.

SUA was formed in 1973 and is a recognized student organization made up of more than 70 members who respond to 24-hour medical emergencies. The organization is also available for non-emergency medical transport, mass-casualty incident response and special standby event services. The organization responds to more than 1,500 calls each year, according to its website.

SUA is required to replace its ambulances every seven years, said Paul Smyth, the emergency medical services manager. Although SU Ambulance replaced its other ambulance in 2010, the A2, a 2006 Braun Class III Ford F450, was due for an upgrade at the end of the spring semester.

“We’re all very excited and we are fortunate and thankful that SU Health Services and the student health fee were able to make this possible,” said Billy Fletcher, SUA president.

Fletcher said the new restraint features a five-point harness that makes it safer for everyone in the back of the ambulance. He said no additional training was necessary to accommodate for the new features, but members did receive a PowerPoint presentation during the summer from their training supervisor detailing the differences from the old A2. Every other aspect except for the layout of the ambulance remains the same, Fletcher said.

“The design doesn’t change much,” Smyth said. “The new A2 has much safer restraints in the back of the ambulance. That’s the main difference between the two.”

There is also an improved exterior safety feature on the new A2, Smyth said. The upgraded model features reflective tape in a chevron pattern that makes the current model more visible to other drivers on the road.

“SUA was able to receive funding through Student Association to upgrade the other ambulance,” Fletcher said. “We wanted both ambulances to be equally as safe, because we use them both the same amount.”

There was no additional fundraising necessary to receive the upgraded ambulance, Smyth added.

SUA also has five other vehicles and a trailer. An SUA supervisor responds with the A4, a 2008 Ford Expedition XLT, if a critical incident on campus occurs. This vehicle is also used to transport the MSU 2010 Ferno Support Trailer, which carries additional supplies to support in the case of major events such as a mass-casualty incident, according to SUA’s website.