Spice Rack

Healthy helpings: Brazilian steakhouse offers extensive all you can eat salad bar, great option for parents weekend, dates, birthdays

Allen Chiu | Staff Photographer

Texas de Brazil's salad bar offers a light dinner option that includes a wide array of salads, cheeses, seafood, meats and desserts like this pineapple carpaccio. This dessert is a thinly sliced piece of fruit seasoned with cinnamon. The salad bar costs $24.99.

Steakhouses are usually reserved for special occasions like your grandfather’s birthday or where you meet your significant other’s parents. It’s typically not a restaurant you go to for a meal with friends, especially as a college student. Texas de Brazil Churrascaria falls into this category.

An untraditional restaurant, Texas de Brazil prides itself on serving authentic Brazilian cuisine with the generous spirit of Texas. The menu is prix fixe: $24.99 for salad bar options only and $42.99 for a full dinner, which includes an interactive meat carving experience.

Gaúchos stroll around the restaurant with different fine meats on skewers asking if you would like a taste. And if you think that would be invasive to your meal experience, the restaurant has already figured it out for you. Put up a green card on your table, and the meat will keep flowing. Flip it to red though, and you will be able to digest your extravagant meal in peace.

But as a college student, the price is a little too steep and therefore I opted for the salad bar option.

Forget every notion you have of croutons, veggies and fattening dressing. This salad bar is unlike any other. With a buffet consisting of an assortment of fresh, seasonal vegetables, gourmet cheeses, meats and olives, there was plenty to eat.

I started my meal with a plateful of traditional lettuce in a Brazilian vinaigrette. The dressing had hints of citrus with diced hot pepper to give it some kick. The chunks of fruit and veggies added some texture to the plate of salad as well.

The next items I decided to try were a variation of cheeses and meats. First, I tasted a seasoned piece of Gouda. The flavors were ambiguous, making the cheese nothing special. That said, a generous ball of fresh mozzarella made up for the experience. The size of a child’s fist, this tender cheese melted in my mouth and — when paired with the grilled and roasted red and yellow peppers, which had a charred, yet sweet flavor — made a great appetizer. I also tasted a creamy goat cheese, a smoky prosciutto and a peppered smoked salami.

For my next helping, I adventured into the seafood options on the salad bar. I took some spicy shrimp, smoked salmon, tabbouleh and fresh asparagus in an orange, sweet sauce on my plate. The salmon, in particular, was prepared to perfection. The salty flavor was reserved, and also sweet and delicate. On top of that, the lobster bisque was creamy and not overpowering with a seafood flavor.

I might have missed out on dessert, except the salad bar buffet covered that as well. I finished the meal with a pineapple carpaccio. The fruit was sliced as thinly as a slice of paper and seasoned with cinnamon and other sweet flavors. It was the perfect end to a tasteful meal.

To go with my food, I ordered a glass of house merlot. It complimented all the flavors of the salad bar well, with a mild flavor. The generous glass also lasted throughout the meal and was only $8.

On top of that, the service at the restaurant was delightful. The waitress made sure we were happy multiple times during the meal, and even though my table was on the balcony outside of the restaurant, she did not forget about me.

From my experience with the salad bar, it was evident that the full Texas de Brazil meal would be amazing — just not something I would consider without my parents to pick up the bill – sorry, mom and dad. Located at the mall and easily accessible by bus or car, this restaurant is an ideal option for parents weekend.