Fashion

Incorporate Fashion Week trends, florals, metallics in everyday wardrobe

Watching Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week is akin to viewing a museum. The clothing that the models wear is art — and is not meant to be attainable to the masses. Just as not everyone can put an original Monet above their mantle, not everyone can hang an authentic Versace gown in their closet.

Further, much of the clothing that comes down the runway is not meant for everyday wear, like the strapless mint green Zac Posen dress that appeared to be nothing more than an oddly folded bath towel.

Sadly, Fashion Week — held Sept. 5-12 in New York City — has come to an end and the hottest looks for spring 2014 are no longer on display.

The end of such a spectacle is indeed something to be mourned. Now where can we enjoy live video of surly looking waifs stomping down a runway in $10,000 garments? While it is fun to see the gorgeous creations of Falguni and Shane Peacock and appreciate the understated bohemian elegance of Anna Sui’s spring line, we must wonder how the looks presented are applicable to our own lives, and more importantly, our closets.

Most college students simply do not have piles of expendable income lying around their dorm rooms or apartments to splurge on new designer duds. So, why watch or care about Fashion Week? Isn’t it pointless to see unattainable outfit after outfit stroll down a runway while garish colored lights flash in the background and new-wave electronic pop blares?

Initially, it may seem that the answer to such a question is a resounding “yes,” but if considered with the right mindset, Fashion Week can prove to be a culturally enriching experience that can be used as a tool to improve your own wardrobe.

The clothing showcased is meant to be extravagant, unrealistic and fabulous. Hence, it is important to bear in mind that these exact looks are not easily replicable — but it is very possible to emulate the patterns, shapes and the overall vibe that these outfits employ.

For example, I was particularly taken with Falguni and Shane Peacock’s liberal use of golds, metallics and bright florals. The florals in their line were predominantly blue, but red and pink hued petals would also compliment the warm tones of the golds, and earthy metals, in turn, would pull together the entire look.

For years, it was taboo in the fashion world to combine silver and gold, but such a rule has since been debunked and it is perfectly acceptable and stylish to mix your metals today. The easiest way to recreate such a look is to pair silver, gold and copper jewelry pieces with a floral top or dress. Or, layer a silver necklace with a gold necklace and compliment the duo by wearing silver and copper bracelets.

It is also important to make sure that the floral pattern you select is not too large — meaning that the flowers themselves should be no bigger than your fist and should instead be roughly quarter-sized, so as not to overwhelm the eye.

Another look that can easily be achieved is combining your metallics and florals with gladiator sandals or heavily studded heals. Virtually all of Anna Sui’s models sported these hardware-heavy shoes — a detail that suggests that the gladiator-inspired footwear trend is not losing the popularity battle anytime soon.

Granted, with frigid Syracuse winter temperatures right around the corner, the thought of wearing floral patterns and sandals of any kind is not appealing. So, if you insist on translating these spring styles into fall fashion I recommend layering a neutral long-sleeved shirt under your top or dress and replacing the sandals with some punky, studded combat boots. As for the jewelry, it is a perennial must.

Jenna Belmonte is a magazine, newspaper and online journalism graduate student. Her fashion column appears every Monday in Pulp. She can be reached at [email protected].