Beer Bites

Beer Bites: Magic Hat Night of the Living Dead

The Magic Hat fall variety pack has been taunting me for weeks.

Each time I wander down the Tops beer aisle or peruse Wegmans’ extensive selection, it’s there, waiting for me to purchase it, seducing me with its clever beer names and creative packaging.

I finally gave in — the variety pack is called Night of the Living Dead, for goodness’ sake. It turned out to be the perfect antidote for a long night of studying.

I started strong with the amber ale, Deveiled. I didn’t choose it because of any particular affinity I have for amber ales, but because it had the best label art of any beer I’ve ever seen. I’m currently trying to figure out a way to turn the bottles into non-tacky, non-fratty art in my apartment.

After popping the cap off — which, by the way, said “Undressing. Distressing or a Blessing?” — I was treated to a rich, flavorful ale that combined caramel and chocolate malts. This beer was complex and dark and basically constituted a meal all on its own, which is something I wish I had known before I tried to drink it while eating peanut butter. Things got weird.

The only downside was that it was very hoppy, which isn’t really a quality I look for in a beverage, so I decided to cleanse my palate with my all-time favorite beer, Magic Hat #9.

Ah, my old friend. I could probably write a soliloquy about how #9 makes me feel, but it would get embarrassing. I’ll just say that I adore #9 for the taste, for the memories associated with it and for its consistency. Each time I’ve had one, my night has improved significantly.

This venture was no exception. The #9 offered a sweet, apricot-infused respite from its dark and twisty casemates, yet its dryness and not-quite-pale-ale aftertaste left me with an overall feeling of satisfaction, not a stomachache.

But then it was time to get down to business with the India Pale Ale. Magic Hat’s hI.P.A. (pronounced “High-P.A.”) has a limited engagement, which means it won’t be around forever. So anyone who is taking baby steps into the adult world of IPAs like me should probably snatch it up while they still can, because this is one we can all handle.

Besides the completely disorienting, drug-infused label art, this beer is what can only be described as a standard, no-frills IPA. There are no surprises, just the familiar IPA flavor hitting you all at once, so it’s easy to drink and generally enjoyable.

I moved on to the Séance. It tasted exactly like a campfire, which made sense after I realized it was brewed with cherry wood smoke malts. The Séance is a season ale, meaning it was brewed in the winter but is meant to be consumed during summer and fall. It’s earthy and dense, but you can taste just a little bit of fruitiness if you concentrate.

The Séance basically tastes like what you should be drinking if you would enjoy attending an actual séance live with a coven of witches or if you often skip Chuck’s to stay home with your ouija board.

Hey, to each his own.