Former SU student appears in court for preliminary hearing

After posting bail on Tuesday, a former Syracuse University student living in Alpha Chi Rho arrested on drug charges appeared for a preliminary hearing on Wednesday.

At Patrick Jackson’s hearing at about 10:15 a.m., Patricia Campbell, a defense attorney filling in for Jackson’s actual attorney, requested the case be placed on the felony calendar. Jackson’s next court date is scheduled for April 3, Campbell added.

Jackson’s mother, Victoria Jackson, was present at the preliminary hearing but declined to comment.

Though he was not originally granted bail during his arraignment, Jackson’s attorney, Emil Rossi, had appeared before a higher court on Tuesday to have a bail set. Jackson was released later Tuesday on $25,000 bail, Campbell said.

Rossi, was not available because he was in federal court in Utica, N.Y., Campbell said. Calls to Rossi were not returned.

Police arrested Jackson, 23, on Sept. 26 after seizing 4.23 ounces of cocaine, 15.6 grams of marijuana and $5,560 in cash from his room at AXP.

Jackson has been charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance in the second and third degrees. Both are felonies. He’s also been charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree and two counts of criminal use of drug paraphernalia in the second degree, all of which are misdemeanors.

Along with the illegal drugs and cash found in Jackson’s room, police found two digital scales, clear zip-close bags and three cellphones, which the felony complaint against Jackson alleges “clearly indicate the defendant was involved in the distribution of illegal narcotics in and around the Syracuse University campus.”

The complaint also said the amount of cocaine recovered was equal to more than 1,000 individual doses, with a street value of more than $5,000.

On Tuesday, Jackson’s mother said he would not be returning to the AXP house after his release.

She also said Jackson will be attending therapy to determine whether he has a drug problem.