Fundraiser to support DPS officer struck by lightning

Department of Public Safety officers are hosting an event to support an injured officer, who was struck by lightning in September and is unable to return to active duty.

Stanley Prue, who has been a DPS officer for 18 years, was leaving his car on Sept. 1 when he was struck by lightning.  The lightning hit the radio clipped to Prue’s left shoulder as he exited his patrol car on South Campus.

He said he suffered a brain injury, severe nerve injuries in both arms and problems with his left eye. Prue was in the hospital for 15 days after he was struck by lightening and had to relearn fundamental basics, including how to walk and use his hands for utensils.

Prue said that, with a long list of injuries, he has a long road ahead of him before returning to active duty with DPS.

“It’s like getting separated from your family,” he said. “I’m struggling each day to get back in the uniform I’ve worn every day for the last 18 years.”

The event will be held at the Valley American Legion Hall, and the tickets will cost $15. The Central New York barbeque chain Limp Lizard will cater the event, and three live bands including School of Ants, a band made up of several DPS officers, will also perform.

Tickets can be purchased from DPS’s office at Sims Hall or at the door of the event at the Valley American Legion Hall.

James McLellan, a DPS detective who is responsible for organizing the fundraiser on Saturday, is one of the officers who have supported Prue during his recovery.

McLellan described the fundraiser as a “coming together” of the different public safety agencies in Central New York. He said the event will also provide an opportunity for Prue to be recognized, thank his supporters and receive financial aid to assist his family during his recovery process.

“Any time a member of your family is hit with something like this you want to make sure they’re taken care of,” McLellan said.

McLellan said he hopes that it will put into perspective the realities of working a law enforcement job.

“You never think something like lightning will take you out,” McLellan said.

Ed Weber, the DPS officer who was with Prue when the lightning struck, said DPS officers are more united than ever as a result of the incident, and ready to welcome Prue back with open arms upon his recovery.

“The emotion, department-wise, is all here,” Weber said, who said that it was still difficult to talk about the incident. He added that the university and the SU community have consistently reached to support Prue and Weber.

Said Prue: “I always thought in my heart that we could rely on the community, but this supports my thoughts and feelings for all of these years.”