Student starts LGBT web series to better represent community

After not seeing enough racial diversity in lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender roles depicted in the media, a junior at Syracuse University started her own web series to better represent the culture.

Jasmine White, a junior television, radio and film major, created a web series called “The Circle” in an attempt to diversify the races represented by LGBT in the media. The five main characters of the series are from many different backgrounds and stray from the LGBT stereotyped characters seen on TV, she said.

“People of color who identify with the LGBT community are often ignored,” White said. “The rare moments when their world is showed and their story is told, it is done by people who do not know them, and who do not identify at all with the LGBT community.”

Shooting started last week, and the crew is wrapping up the first episode.

White said she was really interested in exploring the particular relationships that could exist between these new types of characters and raise consciousness about different issues relating to one’s identity.

She said she wrote the script to bring out refreshing experiences and stressed the importance of addressing a large audience. She described the series as both a drama and a comedy.

“I created this series to impact a very diverse public,” White said.

In the project’s development stage, White said she struggled to find outside funding. But by promoting it on Facebook, White said awareness of the series began to grow.

She eventually raised funds through different organizations and supporters, including the LGBT Resource Center at SU and the Community Folk Art Center, she said.

Lorraine Branham, dean of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, and Chancellor Nancy Cantor also agreed to help with funding, she said.

“Chancellor Cantor was so enthusiastic, it was incredible,” White said. “She was really excited to help me to start the project. It was extremely important to have this kind of support to start off.”

Currently, 17 students are a part of the project, with White writing, shooting and editing the first episode. She said she plans to write six episodes.

Quameiha Raymond-Ducheine, one of the show’s actresses, said she noticed her character’s story affected her own view on social issues.

“I already acknowledged the difficulty (identifying as) LGBT at SU, but meeting all the members of the crew and myself playing a gay character increased my awareness. I became a real ally to this community,” Raymond-Ducheine said.

Danielle McCoy, a senior political science and African-American studies major, said she wanted to take part in the project because of her passion for acting.

She said the differences between the character and her real life persona makes the role more interesting and complex.

“I am playing a character who I do not necessarily resemble in real life in regards to sexual orientation and relationships,” McCoy said. “It allows me to be creative as well when portraying this character.”

Since White, the creator of the series, started promoting her project, she has received several messages of encouragement.

Said White: “I am astonished by the number of people who tell me how excited they are to see the show coming out soon.”