Editorial

SU model for mental illness should promote change nationwide

Progressive reform is happening for mental health issues among college athletes, and Syracuse University is leading the way.

After nearly 18 months, a consensus statement led by Tim Neal, assistant athletic director of sports medicine at SU, was published. This debriefing of mental health issues in collegiate athletics is based off of an SU model. This idea recognizes student athletes with mental health issues and refers them to seek medical assistance.

The NCAA is considering using this model to make nationwide recommendations for changes regarding the handling of mental illness among college athletes.

This change is necessary, as the number of athletes afflicted with psychological issues is staggering.

Nearly 1 in 5 youths meet the criteria for a mental health disorder. By these numbers, 92,600-115,750 of the 463,000 student athletes currently in the NCAA would be afflicted by a mental ailment, according to Joshua Geruso, assistant director of sports medicine at North Carolina State University.

It is crucial that the NCAA implement change within college athletic programs across the country. These programs, particularly at Division I schools, are their own entities and sometimes, their athletes are viewed as professionals more than students. This makes performance a high priority.

The NCAA reform could significantly alter the perception surrounding mental illness in athletics. Oftentimes, college athletes are not secure about confronting their psychological issues.

There is a stigma surrounding athletes. Fans often view them as untouchable and place them on a pedestal. This attention could make athletes feel uncomfortable seeking treatment for mental health issues, as they might view these issues as a weakness.

However, they, too, can suffer from psychological disorders that lead to depression, violence and thoughts of suicide.

If athletic programs brought attention to this issue, it would provide a more inclusive environment for athletes. Because of this, they would be more open to reporting any signs of mental health issues they might be experiencing.

As seen with SU, universities can and should place greater significance on the health of athletes. Many of these individuals will not continue to play their chosen sport past the collegiate level. A concussion now could damage their lives forever.

Reform — something started by SU’s own athletic officials — could affect many futures.

Games won now are not as important as the mental stability of athletes playing in them.