SU to offer online courses during winter break

Syracuse University is creating a way for students to earn credits before students even return to campus in the spring.

Starting on Nov. 13, students can enroll in one of three fully accredited online courses taught by SU professors through the Winterlude program. Winterlude courses are open to any student, according to its website.

Winterlude was made possible by teachers who were willing to take part in the pilot program, said Bea Gonzalez, dean of University College, in an email. From these three courses, she wishes to build on the Winterlude program to meet “an ever-growing demand” for online options from students.

The program will run from Dec. 16 through Jan. 10, three days before the spring semester begins. Students who enroll can choose from three classes. The classes are in the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Visual and Performing Arts. Art 300/500: “Portfolio Online: Art in America” examines the global influence of American art and helps students develop art portfolios. PHI 251: “Logic” involves learning about logic as a formal language as well as syntax, semantics and pragmatics. CRS 327: “Speechwriting” will teach students how to write persuasive speeches.  

Students who wish to enroll will have to pay for the specific classes. The price to take a Winterlude course is $3,111 for full-time undergraduate students. For matriculated graduate students, is will cost $3,882. Need-based financial aid is available, Gonzalez said.

Amos Kiewe, a professor of communication and rhetorical studies, is teaching the speechwriting class for Winterlude, and said the course is “ideal for an online or a hybrid course.”

Unlike some online courses that are impersonal and leave students to their own devices, Winterlude courses utilize email and online chat forums to connect students and professors throughout the break, Gonzalez said.

“Online faculty have hours, have chat times, and are available by email throughout the course,” she said.

Kiewe added that IT help services will be available to assist students with technical difficulties throughout the entire course.

“It is a good way to take a class, especially in the morning class when you can’t get up early, taking a class online would be the best course,” said Aspirin Wang, a freshman communication and rhetorical studies major. Wang noted that taking courses online could also help students better focus on the material.