Pulp

Point of Contact collaborates with Syracuse Opera for new gallery opening

Starting Friday, a new art gallery will bring a certain Latin American flair to the people of Syracuse in its premiere exhibit.

Point of Contact, a nonprofit organization sponsored by Syracuse University, will celebrate the opening of its new gallery space in the Warehouse by throwing a reception for its first exhibit titled “Tango-Opera,” which is running until Dec. 19.

On display will be one of the gallery’s signature pieces, “Tango,” and local soprano Catalina Cuervo will perform an intimate set, furthering the Latin American theme. Tickets for the hour-long event are $25, but from 7-8 p.m., the gallery will be open to the public free of charge.

Since 2005, the gallery operated out of a small storefront on East Genesee Street, but it recently moved to a bigger space at the Warehouse, 350 W. Fayette St. Miranda Traudt, who has been Point of Contact’s managing director since October, said the move was necessary to expand and create a stronger connection to Syracuse.

“It allows a space for growth since it is three times larger,” Traudt said.

Point of Contact prides itself on showcasing both verbal and visual contemporary art from around the world. It has a strong Latin American influence, which is evidenced by the “Tango-Opera” event. On display will be a 20-piece portfolio art book, which consists of eight intaglio prints and 13 pages of text, created by Argentine writer Pedro Cuperman and New York artist Nancy Graves. The book will unfold the complexities of the Latin American tango dance.

“I think that it will be fun,” Traudt said. “Guests will enjoy a performance by opera singer, Catalina Cuervo, in an intimate and unique setting.”

Cuervo is starring in Syracuse Opera’s current production, “Maria de Buenos Aries.” Cuervo will portray the show’s protagonist in the production, which is composed by Ástor Piazzolla.

Point of Contact will be presenting special gifts to both long-time and new supporters that have made sizable monetary contributions to the gallery. People can also donate any amount when they arrive at the event, and the money will go toward keeping the gallery at the forefront of art exhibition in Syracuse by expanding its reach to more people in the community.

Said Traudt: “Point of Contact will continue to showcase artists from around the world and hopefully offer more events such as this and collaborate with other organizations.”