Editorial

SA should not become involved in altering university child abuse reporting policy

The Syracuse University Student Association should not become involved in university policies for reporting suspected child abuse.

At a Nov. 18 SA meeting, several members presented a resolution to the assembly urging SU employees to change the directions within the policy for reporting suspected child abuse. The resolution also suggested that SU employees could face disciplinary action such as termination if they fail to report signs of such abuse. Members will vote to pass the resolution at Monday’s meeting.

However, this resolution mirrors the effort by the Joint Working Group in the summer of 2012. The group, consisting of SU Board of Trustee members and administration, aimed to analyze SU’s policies and its responses to allegations of misconduct. The group released directions for all staff and faculty to follow that included specific instructions for mandated reporters of child abuse. These reporters include physicians, psychologists and other members of the SU community.

Although SA proposing these changes is admirable, the topic of child abuse is one that demands attention from the university.

This issue is far too complicated for students to handle. It is a topic that should be left to administrators, like those involved in the Joint Working Group. The members of this group have the authority to initiate such change and are more aware of the complexities and the procedures involved.

SA’s misguided effort reflects a greater need for the organization to find its true identity on campus. Earlier this semester, President Allie Curtis proposed that the association become involved in national student issues — an overly ambitious goal for a student organization. This recent proposal further proves the disconnection between SA’s goals and what it can realistically achieve.

SA should not be concerned with the magnitude of the topic, but instead its relevance to students.

Under President-elect Boris Gresely, members of SA should better define the goals they plan to tackle. These goals should be achievable and pertinent to the students they are serving.

With this proposed resolution, SA is entering territory where it does not necessarily belong.

Although the intentions behind this resolution are commendable, it would be wise of SA to focus its efforts on more achievable objectives relevant to the organization.